baxi combi instant 105e

a good temp measure (rather than cut in an expansion vessel that will have to come out) is drain off a rad and then re open the valves...

it works peachy, not my idea but one i got from this here site yonks ago ;)

Sponsored Links
I thought everyone knew about using a rad as an EXV !

To the original owner, this expansion vessel is a special one which is used on your boiler to store pre heated water.

That may have seemed like a good idea but it has been a disaster as they fail every 2-3 years.

Before repressurising you should let ALL the air out of the air fill valve and see if water comes out. If so then the rubber separator inside is holed and it would have to be replaced.

In spite of what Poxi tell their own engineers ( they want to sell parts and keep boilers as originally designed however bad that was ) the best solution for the owner is to fit an external expansion vessel. Thats a bit cheaper and will give greater stored water capacity.

Tony

Agile said:
I thought everyone knew about using a rad as an EXV !

To the original owner, this expansion vessel is a special one which is used on your boiler to store pre heated water.

That may have seemed like a good idea but it has been a disaster as they fail every 2-3 years.

Before repressurising you should let ALL the air out of the air fill valve and see if water comes out. If so then the rubber separator inside is holed and it would have to be replaced.

In spite of what Poxi tell their own engineers ( they want to sell parts and keep boilers as originally designed however bad that was ) the best solution for the owner is to fit an external expansion vessel. Thats a bit cheaper and will give greater stored water capacity.

Tony

2 to address your firast point, nope not every one does, that must mean that those you arent born with this knowledge must be shyte ;)

2 if the manufacturer says NO that means NO and you would be a tad foolish to ignore it, i certainly will not

just paint me brown and call me yella :)

When I said I thought everyone knew about a rad as an EXV, I did not mean that they would be born with the knowledge but would have learnt it during their practical "on the job" training.

I actually said "its the best solution for the owner" on account of performance and cost.

I have never done it myself because I have the problem of being CORGI registered and expected to use new parts and not to modify appliances.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
When I said I thought everyone knew about a rad as an EXV, I did not mean that they would be born with the knowledge but would have learnt it during their practical "on the job" training.

I actually said "its the best solution for the owner" on account of performance and cost.

I have never done it myself because I have the problem of being CORGI registered and expected to use new parts and not to modify appliances.

Tony

Well I never came across it (or to my shame thought of it) untill someone mentioned it here

goes to show you are always learning :)

Its a standard instruction I give to my trainees to do when the EXV is failed as a temporary measure to get the system working until they can return at their leisure to replace the vessel. Or if they have forgotten their foot pump!

Tony

Can you guys just explain this temp. rad solution? Im assuming leaving one rad empty? Does that really work?

rob

Of course it works!

I did it for a Pink Floyd drummer over Christmas and only got the replacement EXV in yesterday.

Tony

Agile won't speak to YOU any more now, for you are an unworthy person utterly damned to the hovels of the hordes he has exposed, as not knowing something he thought you ought to.

Yeah sure it works. A bit like the bubble top in a Megaflo. You trap some air, it gets squashed a bit when things are pressurised, and squashed more when the system heats up. Useful to do when someone's PV has really gone, so the boiler keeps losing pressure through the prv and going out.

How about more explaining and less name dropping?

I was back at one of my Who guitarists yesterday, taking out the boiler and recovering the pcb I put in new a couple of months ago.

Lord K****** needed a new pcb for his Suprima, too.

ANd I spent about 3 hours ******* about with a Thorn Olympic which kept stopping. It was a broken contact inside the boiler stat... That was for a greasy foreign minger.

ChrisR said:
Agile won't speak to YOU any more now, for you are an unworthy person utterly damned to the hovels of the hordes he has exposed, as not knowing something he thought you ought to.

Yeah sure it works. A bit like the bubble top in a Megaflo. You trap some air, it gets squashed a bit when things are pressurised, and squashed more when the system heats up. Useful to do when someone's PV has really gone, so the boiler keeps losing pressure through the prv and going out.

lol, im sure ill cope..

Very handy tip though thanks Chris....and Tony!

rob

ChrisR said:
How about more explaining and less name dropping?

I was back at one of my Who guitarists yesterday, taking out the boiler and recovering the pcb I put in new a couple of months ago.

Lord K****** needed a new pcb for his Suprima, too.

ANd I spent about 3 hours ******* about with a Thorn Olympic which kept stopping. It was a broken contact inside the boiler stat... That was for a greasy foreign minger.

#Thats nowt I have service Anrde previns boiler, replaced the three port acutator of Joe Brown (his daughter is a fox ;) )

And, as my finale, cleared the the drain of TUM TUM TUUUUUUUUMMMMM

AVON OF BLAKES SEVEN

Agile me old mate pop that in you pipe and smoke it I move the biggys i do

PS I also changed a ballvalve in one of Nicko McBrains Bogs (he is the drummer in Iron Maiden but no where as good as BLOODY AVON from BLAKES SEVEN)

I am off for a lie down now I have got over wrought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back