Baxi Combi starting up on pre-heat when COLD tap is switched

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a four year old Baxi 133 Combi boiler.

When I turn on the cold tap, for example, to fill a kettle, wash, etc, when I switch it off quickly (as one normally does) the boiler starts up as though it is doing a pre-heat - after about 20-30 secs it shuts down.

BUT, when I trun the water off slowly it doen't happen.

The CH system pressure is OK and the are no error lights coming on. The CH and hot water work as normal.

I suspect it's a very sensitive sensor somewhere that activates.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's probably an upward facing dead leg on the hot water circuit. When you close a cold tap sharply, a pressure surge can occur into this air pocket, and this can be enough to trip the DHW flowswitch briefly.

Double check valve and shock arrestor(mini expansion vessel) on the cold pipework to the boiler.

Sponsored Links
I would prefer to find the cause of the problem and fix that, rather than add extra kit to fix the symptoms. Did you have a hot water cylinder, and is the old 22mm pipe from that still there in the airing cupboard, with a cap end on it? If so, have the deadleg removed.

Thanks to both again, I'll have a look at the pipework. There's quite a lot of old stuff hanging about so I'll track down their route and then look at your solutions,

again, many thanks - all very helpful

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back