Baxi duo tec combi boiler 28he error!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas day of all days the boiler failed and showed an error 'E160'. According to the manual an error associated with the fan or pcb.... After switching the boiler off, then on again the thing works only to fail intermittantly throughout the day. This leads me to believe the problem might be with the pcb....so my question is, I can get a new pcb for £65, much cheaper than a tradesman would charge, then it is only 4 mounting screws and 4 or 5 cable connections to the board. Is this something I SHOULD be doing myself, or are there pitfalls/dangers.
Any help or advise greatfully accepted,
many thanks and happy new year,
Jason.

Sponsored Links
Nope.....i would opt for the fan.

Unfortunately, it involves breaking the gas line and these are HE boilers and need to be checked via a flue gas analyser. Therefore a rgi job

Thanks for your reply....the system has been running fine all day until we ran a bath some moments ago and the 'e160' error returned, seems to be when the boiler switches from hot water to central heating?!!

Goose1,

I had exactly the same problem on exactly the same day! Spooky, it's as though the Y2K bug arrived 10years late.

Did you find a fix, i.e. fan or PCB?

I've also come to the same conclusion in that the DHW system is fine, fan speeds up and boiler fires. But when a CH demand is made an E160 error code is generated indicating it's the fan.

However I'm struggling to see how it's a fan problem as when the CH system is running the output temp is being regulated correctly by the fan, i.e. it runs and speeds up an down to adjust the burner output. I believe that this also means that the CH NTC sensor must be ok because it knows how hot the water is.

So I was comming round to the conclsuin that its the PCB which isn't telling the fan to run at a sufficient speed to activate the gas valve, before burner ignition is initiated.

Sponsored Links
Goose1,

I had exactly the same problem on exactly the same day! Spooky, it's as though the Y2K bug arrived 10years late.

Did you find a fix, i.e. fan or PCB?

I've also come to the same conclusion in that the DHW system is fine, fan speeds up and boiler fires. But when a CH demand is made an E160 error code is generated indicating it's the fan.

However I'm struggling to see how it's a fan problem as when the CH system is running the output temp is being regulated correctly by the fan, i.e. it runs and speeds up an down to adjust the burner output. I believe that this also means that the CH NTC sensor must be ok because it knows how hot the water is.

So I was comming round to the conclsuin that its the PCB which isn't telling the fan to run at a sufficient speed to activate the gas valve, before burner ignition is initiated.

No fix yet mate I'm afraid, however the problem comes and goes, but is progressively getting worse!!! Exactly the same symptoms as yourself. I have joined British Gas Homecare and am awaiting for an engineer to call. Will let you know if mine is sorted before you sort yours....

How could you get a PCB for only £65 ?

You seem to imply that an RGI can get them for £65 but charge the customer a lot more!

I have not checked the price but most PCBs are at least £100 and many considerably more!

Tony

How could you get a PCB for only £65 ?

You seem to imply that an RGI can get them for £65 but charge the customer a lot more!

I have not checked the price but most PCBs are at least £100 and many considerably more!

Tony

the pcb for this unit is for sale on ebay at £65

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120440122330&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNASIF:GB:1123

I was not implying that I would be overcharged for the pcb, just meant the overall cost of call-out and labour on top of parts.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the update. I hope you can hang on until you get it fixed.

Does anyone have a reason (other than the fault code) for the fan being faulty.

Problem solved.

For the record replacing the fan was the fix.

£80 from UK heating supplies ltd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back