Baxi ECO 80 LACK OF HOT WATER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anybody can shed some light on our problem as its driving my wife and I Insane.
We have a Baxi Eco 80, its just over a year old, and was working perfectly, until, just before Christmas, when it decided not to supply hot water, We phoned Baxi up as it was still within its warranty period, the engineer came out poked and prodded, "upgraded" a small part, and then told us there was nothing wrong with the boiler, but a fault with the gas supply, he said the hot water side was not getting enough gas, this seemed strange to me as the rad side was working perfectly well and all rads were nice and hot.
Anyway we got the gas supply checked, and its normal, somewhere around 21 millibar, where as the baxi guy was saying the boiler was only getting 7/8 millibar, now this is weird as the boiler is the only item in the house using gas.
Can anybody help at all and suggest what on earth is the cause???

Sponsored Links
Anyway we got the gas supply checked

By whom? Transco?
They check at the meter, usually. The pressure at the boiler will be less, and if the pipe is too long/narrow, or there's a blockage, it could be 7-8 mbar. Corgi stipulate that it should be within 1mbar of the pressure at the meter.
You might not notice any problem on CH.

Cowbys often install commbis with undersized gas pipes. Any 15mm section should be VERY short, you need 22mm at least, up to near the boiler.

Thanks Chris, I think you may well have answered my question there, the gas pipe, does have to travel a long way from the meter, checked by Transco btw, basically the meter is downstairs, but the boiler is upstairs on the opposite side of the house, the pipe itself is quite large, and without measuring it, I couldnt tell you the exact size, it does look like 22mm though, we have finally managed to get onto the guys who installed it, and they think it may be a blockage as well.
Anyway I will post back as soon as they get here and sort it.

Cheers for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back