Baxi Heat Exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating boiler has just packed up, the heat exchange has gone and I wonder if anybody can help me find a replacement heat exchanger for it ?
The model is very old, it's a Baxi WM 38/3 rs. Sorry I don't know the part number. Anybody know where I can get the replacement HE or is my only option to scrap the boiler and get a completely new one. Funds are very tight and I'd prefer to get the new part if I can.

Sponsored Links
Has the Iron cracked, or do you need the gasket?

Both are easy on your boiler, if you can find an RGI who will spend 4-6 hours on it.
Huw.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what's exactly wrong the boiler is making a terrible smell, the engineer said it's not carbon monoxide and that the heat exchange had gone. Do you think this could be the gasket ?

Sponsored Links
At 50-80 quid an hr i would seriously consider a replacement. You already have a boiler with obselete parts. If your lucky iy's the gasket but either way it's either a bigish job or a very big job.......and that means hundreds of pounds

I know there is this reluctance to spend money but its an old and quite inefficient boiler.

A replacement would probably pay for itself within five years from gas savings!

Its so old and inefficient that its eligible for the boiler scrappage scheme !

I have never replaced a gasket in your model but I did do one in a fairly similar c.i. boiler and it only took about 2-3 hours.

A few RGIs will work cheaper but your problem would be finding one at this busyest time of our year.

Tony

I'm not sure what's exactly wrong the boiler is making a terrible smell, the engineer said it's not carbon monoxide and that the heat exchange had gone.

I don't get it. Its making a bad smell and it doesn't work? What was wrong with the heat exchanger??

The smell is what's wrong with it. The kitchen absolutely stinks and it irritates the eyes really bad. The engineer couldn't believe how bad it was.
If it is the gasket is a replacement actually available given it's age ??

Many thanks Powell I didn't realise Baxi had their own service team, that seems the best plan, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I still can't see how a faulty heat exchanger would cause a smell in the kitchen from a room sealed appliance unless it was badly sooted which the engineer should have sorted. I would definately get a second opinion

With mickey on this stop using it straight away and get someone else to look at it it sounds sooted up which can kill you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back