Baxi solo 2 50 PF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

After a bit of advice concerning my Baxi solo 2 50 PF.

Everything starts up fine but the pilot and main burner go out after about 2 - 3 mins. The overheat light does not come on. The fan is working fine, had that replaced about 2 yrs ago and can hearing it running. The CH pump is running and pumps hot water into the rads which are are just getting warm when it all switches off. I bled a bit of air from a couple of rads when cold.

Having read through the forum I am guided towards the Pcb? Or its not something simple like a thermocouple is it?

If it is a pcb is worth going the Brit Gas route or just getting a new boiler as it is now 13 yrs old

Many thanks in anticipation of any help

Andy

Sponsored Links
Suggest you feel how hot the flow and rtn pipes at the boiler are. If they are hot and your rads are not then it suggests you have a circulation/pump problem.

I'd say it is very unlikely to be PCB related.

If you can try increasing the pump speed.

Hope this helps

Thanks Mr smyth,

The pipes are getting hot before and after the pump and the rads are starting to get warm but the burner cuts out before they get hot. I have turned up the pump to its top speed and I can feel and hear the impeller turning.

Any other ideas?

could be the gas valve solenoid - known to be iffy on the solo quite often, it can be changed and is available as a seperate item no need to change the valve..
but i would definately eliminate any flow issues first.

Sponsored Links
something else came to mind, I opened the bleed valve on the pump to see if there was an airlock and water gushed out.........does this mean the bearings have gone? On top speed there is a thrumming sound if this helps?

How close is the pump to the boiler?

How hot are the pipes? difficult to measure but are they too hot to keep your hand on? if so where, at the boiler/pump.

What sort of state is the Feed and Expansion (smaller one in loft) tank in. Is the water cold, warm, hot, is it black and murky?

If the pipes at the boiler are too hot to touch then it suggests that the boiler is ok.

A BG fixed price repair is good option if you don't know a good RGI but you maybe pushed towards a Powerflush by an inexperienced/lazy engineer.

I certainly would not replace the boiler just yet.

The FAQ on this forum may help you further.

Fixed!

BG changed the water pump, I must admit it was suspect as I could hear the impellor rattling but this was not the solution. On taking the boiler aprt it was found to have only half the burner still there, so a new burner solved the problem.

Thanks for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back