Baxi Solo 2 50 RS Shutting Down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got a problem with the above boiler. It shuts down completely and the grey pilot knob pops out after about 30 secs when the hot water or heating fires up. The pump is running and the 3 way valve appears to be switching ok (it was replaced last year). This has got gradually worse, last week, HW was fine (boiler would cut out on CH), had it serviced by a CORGI engineer on Friday, all working when he left but now, can light pilot (eventually), beyond that, nothing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
You have not been very clear with your description.

From what I can gather there was a fault last week and a CORGI "serviced" it on Friday.

Now the "fault" is still there.

Did you ask the CORGI to repair the boiler?

A service is NOT a repair!

It sounds as if this is a pilot light model and the overheat stat is tripping the pilot.

That would usually be caused by the pump not working or no water.

Have you checked the F&E tank to see if its full?

Even if it is then the outlet from it may be blocked.

Why do you think your pump is working?

What is the temperature of the two pipes from the boiler at the point it stops?

Tony

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the quick response. We've been having a problem with the CH cutting out for a few weeks but the HW has been ok (twice daily for 30 mins a time). I called the engineer out who gave it a service on spec to see if it would help which it seemed to at first until the CH came on on Saturday evening when the original problem returned only now HW too. I'll speak to him tomorrow but he said he was doing an installation this week, hence my arrival here.
It is a pilot light model and that is cutting out. During the brief period when the boiler lights, the pipes either side of the pump get warm. I haven't checked the water tank yet but that'll be next
Thanks again, Carl

pilot is too small/dirty, main gas lights causing pilot to lift off and away from thermocouple, thermocouple trips and grey button pops out. Due to small/dirty flame you then have trouble lighting it again. Not a diy job. Call the rgi back, any respectfull rgi should come back to a fault on a recent service. Even if you have too pay for a new thermocouple £5.00 should cover it. cleaning and adjusting is all part of a correct service.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Heatingman
I'll take your advice, buy a thermocouple and call him back. I didn't realise that could cause the button to pop out.
Thanks again, Carl

I would be surprised if thats the cause.

It would be just as likelyt to trip on CH as HW whereas you say its only on CH that this problem occurs.

Its the temperature of the flow and return pipes at the boiler which I am interested in !

Checking the pilot light and testing the thermocouple are all things any proper engineer would do at a service. Apart from safety tests they are the most important aspects.

I always say to people to NEVER call for a service when its really a repair needed.

Tony

The RGI may simply have 'knocked' the t/lead or o/heat stat connections when he serviced the boiler - thus making your problem worse.

The usual suspects:

overheat stat faulty (or system fault causing thermal overlead)
t/lead
pilot injector
gas valve

roughly in that order.

Why was a 'CORGI' used, and not a 'GASsafe'?

Paul

Hi to all,
The thermocouple was replaced today and all seems ok so far!
Hopefully that's what it was.

Thanks to all who responded

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back