Baxi Solo 2 50 RS Wall Boiler.

DCW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a problem on my Solo 2 50 rs, the pilot light will not stay lit. Called a "gas fitter" in 10 weeks ago, first he changed the thermocouple (universal one did not fit), then he changed gas valve and it worked (£140).
This week same problem has occured. Called fitter back but he's at the limit of his capability and doesn't return my calls.
Naked flame placed under the thermocouple will fire the boiler up.
But once the thermocouple is replaced and the pilot used to heat its back to square one?
The base of the flame appears to be well touching the thermocouple???

Sponsored Links
It cant be . pilot injector needs cleaned to start with, if a naked flame is holding pilot then it can only be the pilot size not heating it properly

The pilot lights easily with a large flame dragging off to the right. I don't think there is anyway to alter the direction of the flame to bring it into more contact with the thermocouple?

Flame should be strong stable and blue . If its too big(or small) and not correct size then the t/couple will not be sitting in the hot part of the flame.
Was the correct t/couple used as these are special to this boiler has it been installed properly.

If its correct t/couple fitted properly and holding with naked flame it can only be a pilot size/ injector, dirty problem. remote poss is there is a shroud on pilot this may have been damaged and directing flame the wrong way

Sponsored Links
Firstly thanks namsag for your replies.
The t/c is touching the base of a large blue flame, admittedly not dead centre of the flame ( I think the hottest part of a flame is the tip?).
The fitter mentioned that a universal t/c did not fit so he obtained and fitted a different one.
He also mentioned that he 'adjusted' the shroud with pliers when he fitted the gas valve 10 weeks ago, this shroud seems to me to be a fixed item.
Can the pilot flame be made smaller that the tip comes into contact with t/c, or is it factory set?

There is a pilot adjuster screw on gas valve . but not really for customer adjustment .
Yep shroud is spot welded onto the pilot assembly, and unusual on these that they move and need adjusted . perhaps the spots have gone.
Should be a relatively straight forward repair . One of those jobs that if looked at would see what is up straight away .
The tcouple should be more or less the axact length for the distance with no loops in it to take up the excess ,if there are loops in it then its wrong t/couple

I had a similar problem with boiler and found it to be a break in an ECO lead, the one that leads from overheat stat to back of valve. I t would work now and again. I tested all leads and found this to be the fault. Cost hardly anything compared to changing gas valve.

I find that gas men I have hired in the past are below par, a few wouldn't even have a multi meter, its a case of throwing parts at it until it works. A good gas man is worth his weight in gold. In my field you not only test major components but wires that service them.

Thanks for the replies.
The only further info I can give is that the shroud is solid and not loose in any way, the overheat thermo. has never popped to require a reset (whether this would occur with lead failure I don't know) and the t/c lead seems to be the correct length.
Looks like i'm left with gamble on changing the pilot burner ass.(including shroud) @ £18 or calling out British Gas @ £168.

I would get myself a can of compressed air and place it by the pilot injector and give it a good blast its amazing how many times it has saved me from undoing all the pilot assembleys,went to one last week hed had a fella out,hed fitted a t/c and then o/h stat but still no joy i went in and stuck the strew at the injector and give it a good blast and then tried it and the fella couldnt believe it how the flame was double the size just from some air.Im finding it alot more now that gas injectors are full of muck,wonder if its something in the gas,i was told by a worcster engineer the reason there gas valves were playing up was something added to the gas and causing them to stick,who knows?

Pilot injectors are easily partially blocked and the pilot flame is not vigorous/large enough to heat th/c. Needs an RGI to strip out and carefully clean pilot orifice and rebuild. Some pilot injectors are probably best replaced. He will also test inspect the boiler and ensure its safe operation. Pilot supply may be leaking gas and this can also be the cause of insufficient pilot flame and resultant cause of fouling by soot deposits. Lack of proper servicing also encourages debris buildup around pilot assembly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back