Baxi Solo WM 60/4 RS Pilot Light Goes Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo WM 60/4 RS boiler which has just developed a fault , last Thursday, where the pilot light does not stay lit. I can light the pilot and it comes on but goes out when I release the gas knob. It continued with this fault until Sunday of last week. This Monday morning I tried again and the pilot stayed lit and the boiler worked until today. Now I have the same fault where the pilot will light but not stay on. From reading the forums I see that the most likely fault is the thermocouple, however I would assume if this was the case, once it breaks that's it. As the fault sort of went and came back I suspect its probably not the thermocouple. I am beginning to suspect that it might need a service, as its not had one for a while and this fault could well be a build up of dirt in the burner area. One other thing to note is that the pilot flame is nice and blue ( not yellow ) so I assume that this area is clean ?

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Yes the burner colour sounds good, it may be the thermocouple still, since if it is not clamped up quite tight enough onto the gas valve, it may not be making a good enough connection to work all the time, it may just need a little nip, if that isn't the reason, the pilot light flame has to touch the thermocouple enough to heat it properly, and if it isn't making good contact with thermocouple it will light sometimes and not others, and wind direct and wind strength can affect it as well it is too sensitive. pilot jet might need replacing, they are difficult to clean. it may be able to be adjusted. A service would sort it out, if you point out the pilot problems.javascript:emoticon(':D')

Peter, if you read the forum rules, you will see that we are not permitted to give advice to DIYers on gas or combustion related problems!

I thought I was suggesting that a service was needed and those were the points that need to be raised with the engineer. If that was wrong then in future I will tell them that a service will solve the problem. end of story.javascript:emoticon(':(')

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you have listed all the possible problems which is just what a DIYer wants to hear but not what we are supposed to be saying.

Any RGI will already know what needs to be done!

The OP knows that an RGI can sort it out! But instead of calling one came here to find out so that he can have a go himself.

Tony

I take your point and can see where you are coming from, I will have to be a bit more cautious with my response in future.javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

It also stops the OP from being fleeced by cowboys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back