Baxi Solo 2 60PF

r&b

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a chilly Christmas without any CH.
Problem was initially intermittant but seems continuous now.
Boiler On - light on
Fan On - light on for half a second, fan starts to run but light and fan click out preventing the Pilot On lighting up.
Had been able to restart after a couple of hours and run for half hour or so before stopping. Now I am unable to start it at all. The last time it failed was during a Burners On phase and it tried to relight the pilot but unsuccessful.
On advice from a fitter I have replaced the fan pressure switch but no further forward. He suggested the next "definitely certain" bit was the fan but I am reluctant to shell out over £100 if its not that either.
I half suspect the Pilot Solenoid but have no idea where this is?
Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Measure the voltage at the fan terminal block. 230v?
Measure the voltage at the pilot terminals. 230v?

does the ignition sequence actually start?
ie
when the fan starts does the sparking at the electrode start?

Check APS tubes are not kinked and that the spark electrode lead is fully on and tight

Unfortunately it sounds more like the PCB than anything else

Thanks for these suggestions.

I'm clear about the fan terminals but where are the pilot teminals? Are they the two leads running to the left end of the control valve?

The sparking does not seem to start i.e. the Pilot On does not have a chance to come on as the fan cuts out almost immediately.

I take it the APS tubes are the rubber ones to the pressure switch?

r&b said:
The sparking does not seem to start i.e. the Pilot On does not have a chance to come on as the fan cuts out almost immediately.

I take it the APS tubes are the rubber ones to the pressure switch?
Forget the pilot assy / gas train etc
It has to be a fan, wiring or PCB fault, as you say you've replaced the APS

So what voltage do you have at the fan and for how long?

Sponsored Links
I'll check out the fan voltage tonight when I get home, but you don't think the pilot solenoid could be it?

r&b said:
I'll check out the fan voltage tonight when I get home, but you don't think the pilot solenoid could be it?

If the pilot solenoid was faulty then the fan would still be running all the time on demand. The fact that it is 'hunting' definatly suggests the PCB.

If I had a pound for every PCB on this boiler I changed for this fault then id be a rich man.......well i could have bought a few pints anyway!

Baxpoti and HarrogateGas,

Thanks for your replies which hopefully save me wasting my money on either the fan if it is the PCB or vice versa.

HarrogateGas said:
r&b said:

If the pilot solenoid was faulty then the fan would still be running all the time on demand. The fact that it is 'hunting' definatly suggests the PCB.

If I had a pound for every PCB on this boiler I changed for this fault then id be a rich man.......well i could have bought a few pints anyway!

If I had a pound for every one I've repaired ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back