*** BAXI SOLO 2 BOILER PROBLEMS ***

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am hoping you can give me a bit of advice.

Boiler is a BAXI SOLO 2 50 PF - GC, it is approx 8 years old. Up until yesterday working fine.

Now when I put the heating on it fires up - bolier light, fan light, pilot light and burner light all come on.
Then after 20 seconds it all conks out and I an not able to reset it. When this happens the overheat light and boiler light are lit.
The pressure gauge - black dial is on 0. Red dial (we can moce ) is 2.1 bars.

Just so you know I bled the radiators yesterday morning.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
There will be a flexible pipe with a tap (poss.2) on it somewhere, you need to open this up and watch the black needle on the gauge rise to one then shut it off, at the moment you have bled all of the pressure out of the system.

That's an easy one. Bleeding the radiators caused the system pressure to drop. You need to restore system pressure to 1.0 bar or a bit above using the filling loop. Do you know where the filling loop is and how to use it?

Sorry no idea where filling loop is or how to use it. I can dig out the mannual or if you have any ideas that would be great

Sponsored Links
Manual won't help. Look under boiler for silvery flexible connection between tow of the pipes. Do a search on this forum and you'll find a picture of a filling loop, together with instructions on how to use it.

I have found the silver flexible connection, there does not seem to be an obvious tap to turn to increase the pressure.

I will do a search for ' filling loop '

Thanks

If I were to get a penny each time I heard/ read or was told that radiators were bled, I would be able to buy my favourite Lexus, live in a big house and not have to worry about bills.

A radiator need ONLY be bled IF the top horizontal rib is COLD and bottom same rib is HOT. To needlessly bleed a radiator allows fresh water to be introduced into the system, inhibitor (if present) concentration is weakened and similar situation as above post is allowed to take place.

The red hand is a MARKER. Black hand shows system pressure. You having bled the radiator, have allowed the system pressure to drop to zero. Now the pump cannot pump water round the system as there is very little of it there. What little there is in the boiler, will undoubtedly get blasted to steam but thankfully the system controls are steping in to save your beacon. You cannot reset the boiler because it is TOO hot

Another one that gets my goat is the one where a combi boiler, delivers hot water, cold water, hot water, cold water etc. While system controls can cause this maloperation, usually this is due to original system not properly treated to remove system sediment. This sediment later takes residence in new boiler and starts to choke it. Often either the installer failing to carry out the necessary (to keep the cost down), or the householder looking at the bottom line and comparing the prices and not the spec. Always look for completed Benchmark logbook. If necessary get system water analysed.

Regular service is a must. General hoover is not a service. A service cannot be carried out in 15/ 20 minutes

Ok, thanks for that.

I need to raise the pressure back to 1 -this is done through the ' filling loop' correct ?? I need to open a tap which will hopefully increase the pressure.

I now just need to find that tap - could it look like a large screw ? I have loosened that slightly and I can hear air moving around.

yes it will look like a screw open it slightly, fill the system to 1 and close it, make sure you don't let it get too high and make sure its closed after to stop it passing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back