Baxi Solo 2 PF 50 boiler does not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have Baxi Solo 2 PF 50 boiler. We were painting the room and hence removed a radiator to paint it and remove wallpaper behind it. After the painting was complete I connected the radiator back. I bleed the radiator but the water did not come out. It was late night and I left it to sort in the morning. Morning the water heating started with loud bang few times and worked ok afterwards. I bled the radiator and after long wait the water came out. I started the central heating and tried bleeding all radiators. Out of 4 rooms the water came out in two rooms but remaining two only half radiator was getting hot and water did not came out. Today evening the water heating again started with bang and now the boiler does not work at all. The boiler on light is lit but fan on, pilot on and burner light does not switch on. The pump in the airing cupboard does come on. Please advise.

I do not have cover on the boiler but it was serviced around 6 months back.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the cold feed is blocked from your F&E tank in loft.

First check that there is water in it and that the ball valve has not stuck up.

If it is full next step is to turn off gate valve in cold fill pipe, usually 15mm on older systems, undo lower nut of gate valve, seperate pipe, put bucket uder gate valve and open it. This will eliminate blockage above this point.

Blockage usually occurs where cold feed T's into heating circuit. if this is directly below gate valve you could use long screw driver to break up blockage by 'ramming down' on it. If not this blockage needs to be cut out and pipe work replaced.

Dave

You have been a saviour.
I climbed up the attic and found that ball was stuck at the bottom and the tank was empty. I moved the ball up and down few times and the water got filled up in the tank. I came down and bled all the radiators. This time all of them bled in no time. I started the water and central heating and it worked fine. Do you think I need to do anything else? I have since checked the tank again and it is filled up.

I really appreciate your help. THANK YOU

Keep an eye on the ball valve. Usually they are ok after a few 'wiggles'. But if not it is a simple job to replace ball valve once cold mains turned off.

Glad to be of help ;)

Sponsored Links
Check for leaks and repair any found.

Also, drain system and re-fill this time adding a quality inhibitor (Fernox or Sentinel). If you don't, you could have a pile of rusty radiators in couple of years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back