baxi solo 3 60 pf or WILO problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Hopefully you can help... I think I may have done in my heating system.
I was recently redecorating a room and removed a radiator.

While the radiator was off, then the heating came on, and after a while started making strange noises, so I turned it off again. Even after the heating was turned of though, the WILO continued to make noises for a few hours later (kind of a throbbing sound), so I decided then to turn off the power going to that too.
So i didn't turn on the heating again until after I had put the radiator back on. I noticed then that while I was bleeding the radiator, some water entered the radiator, but it didn't reached the top, so it appears there is no pressure.
When I turn the power back on the WILO (Type:StaRS25/4) now, all that happens is that it makes some noise, and an overheat light is constantly lit on the baxi solo heater, even when the timer is set to off.

Any help would be great, we're freezing here!
Thanks,
Alan

Sponsored Links
some water entered the radiator, but it didn't reached the top

Says it alll!
if you have a SEALED system, look for the filling loop and trop it up to 1 bar (see FAQ)
If it's a gravity fed system (small tank in the loft) check that that has water in it. You may also need to bleed a feed pipe to the HW cylinder.

Thanks ChrisR. It's a sealed system, I'll see can I find that filling loop, hopefully that will sort it. My wife's starting to look at me funny, so i better get it sorted soon!

Cheers,
Alan

Says it alll!
if you have a SEALED system, look for the filling loop and trop it up to 1 bar (see FAQ)
If it's a gravity fed system (small tank in the loft) check that that has water in it. You may also need to bleed a feed pipe to the HW cylinder.

Thx ChrisR, some progress made alright using your help. The system has pressure again and I've bled the rad successfully.

However, unfortunately still no heat. Having restored the pressure I turned the power back on to the WILO pump. It's making a throbbing noise, a bit louder than normal operating noise, and on the BAXI boiler itself the overheat light remains on, while all other lights (Boiler on Fan on Pilot on Burner on) remain off. Any ideas?
Thx,
Al

Sponsored Links
undo the big screw on the end of pump to bleed it.
to reset boiler turn stat to off, leave for 5secs then turn back on.

OK so, after about 10 mins, to try and get the pilot going, I turned the boiler off and on again and it started... thought I was in, all lights on, overheat off!... but then after about a minute, it stopped and the overheat light came on again. The Wilo pump is now also very hot...almost too hot to touch, so I've turned that off too...
damn...so close

any ideas?
thx,
alan

Sounds as though it's still airlocked, have a look on the heating pipes going to the cylinder & see if there's any vents fitted (usually at the highest point). If you have them vent all the air out & then restart the boiler on hot water only, if that works switch to heating only& then try to shift any air on that side.

God lads... this is great. So close I think now. You were spot on there guys, was still airlocked. All good now with WILO overheating.

Last problem seems to be getting the pilot light on. Boiler light is on, but that's it. I tried turning the Stat on and off but pilot light doesn't seem to want to come on again as it did the last time (see above). Any ideas how I can fix what looks to be the last piece of the puzzle?

Cheers guys,
al

ok... seems to be sorted now guys... that turning off and on did reset it this time and pilot is good to go.

Blown away with how quick and helpful everyone is with responses on this site. Thanks so much for all your help, hopefully i can return the favour by maybe recommending a few pubs in dublin where you can get a good pint of guiness.

Cheers guys,
al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back