Baxi Solo 3 PFL 40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am hoping someone can help with this stupid boiler in the rented house I am in. It has a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 40 and it has a different way of working to any other boiler I have known!
When you ask for heating it comes on (which is nice) but it will then go on and off for the duration of it's so called running time. When I say on and off i mean it can click on and off several times in a minute, be on for 10-15 mins then go off and sit there with the boiler on light illuminated but not the other 3 (pilot light on etc.). Obviously due to this the house gets warm only after a long period of time. Rather than have to get in touch with the landlord and they get some idiot round I'd rather try to find out what is causing it. I have checked everything I can think of - main power connections, TRV's, wall stat, bled all rads yet nothing has changed.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
What you describe is the normal operating cycle of a boiler (except the latest self modulating type) The boiler thermostat is there to control only the temperature of the water leaving the boiler according to the setting, and for safety, prevent it actually boiling.

Boilers will normally fire continually for a few minutes when first switched on, then as they get up and running, cycle on and off to maintain the set temperature of the water leaving the boiler (usually 60-75 degrees C), The temperature of the radiators and the property are dependant on many other factors.

When the demand increases for example the domestic hot water is calling for heat because someone has used some hot water, the 'on' time will increase.

You can check the boiler is working OK by getting a cheap strap on thermostat from a DIY store, clipping it to the boiler flow pipe and checking that the correct temperature is reached and maintained.

If that's OK and the property is not getting warm, the fault lies elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back