Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 - Strange Noise Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've got a bit of a problem with my boiler making a weird noise, from many posts on DIYnot it sounds like I may have a bit of a common fault (Chattering Relay on main PCB) but I am unsure what that would sound like.

What happened is that my heating should have been on but wasn't working, I checked the boiler and saw the overheat light on, and not knowing the reset procedure (I do now) I turned it off and back on quickly which didnt work. I then cycled the mains power to the whole system.

Afterwards, whenever I power up the system from the mains.. i get the noise I'm describing (even with the controls set to off on the boiler and timer/thermostat) and nothing works.

I've uploaded a very short video to youtube which allows you to hear the noise it makes when I switch the power on, could anyone advise if this is the chattering relay problem based on the sound?

If so is it in any way dangerous for me to leave the mains on making the noise whilst twiddling with the controls to try and get it to fire up?
(at which point I think from some of the threads on here it will stop making the noise as the relay catches properly)

Is changing over the PCB something I can do myself? I've not had it out yet, but I would consider trying to change the Caps/Relays myself if that seems likely to be the issue, depending on how complex a job it looks.

Thanks,
Sam

Sponsored Links
I agree that's it a relay(probably on the pump overun) Easy to replace the PCB and make sure you isolate and test isolation before pulling board out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back