Baxi Solo 3 PFL 80 won’t stay lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my Baxi solo 3 PFL 80. It’s the same symptoms as this thread from 2011 from @metalsteve for which there was no confirmed solution posted By the OP. My symptoms are exactly the same as this:

In the initial instance when the CH or HW demands heat the boiler on indicator will come on, followed by fan indicator, fan starts, then pilot ignites, pilot indicator on followed by burner and burner indicator.

It will run like this for 5-10 minutes and then the burner and burner indicator will go out, the fan will continue to run for a few minutes and the pilot igniter can be heard clicking, fan will then stop and fan and pilot indcator will go out. Boiler on light still illuminated.

Once this happens the boiler will not fire up again unless left off for some period of time. The water temp in the rads or the tank is just getting hot warm and the fault occurs whether i am wanting CH, HW or both.

We’ve had a new automatic diverter valve fitted a couple of weeks ago to replace an old manual valve, which involved the plumber opening up the boiler to do various checks and a service (I wasn’t watching him constantly as I know that’s not the best approach!).

Prior to this, the boiler would ignite with an audible “whomp”. After the service, it ignites (when it succeeds in doing so), with no significant noise.

I want to ensure that, for the next visit of the plumber, I can tell if I am getting good advice or not. Unfortunately the Baxi fault finding flow chart does not give any good help on this particular sequence. Note I’m not going to fanny about with it myself.

Could this be as simple as the gas pressure being too low because he has turned the regulator down too far (the small screw accessed from the front of the boiler)? Or something else (gas valve solenoid?). It’s a bit weird that it fires perfectly when cold, and doesn’t fire when warm/hot.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back