Baxi Solo Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

My first post on here but have picked up plenty of advice from reading your posts. You are a very valuable resource for me and I appreciate your skill and expertise. Anyway, enough brown nosing, I would like some advice please!

I am a Corgi Registered installer and have come across a breakdown I would appreciate some help with. I have thought it through but would like clarification before ordering any expensive parts!

Boiler - Baxi Solo WM 30/4 PF

Fault - Upon calling for heat the fan starts up but after a couple of seconds, stops. Immediately it starts up again, then stops. This is accompanied by a 'ticking' sound which i believe to be coming from the gas valve.

The plastic fan impeller on top of the fan had broken off completely, I replaced it with new one. Same fault still occurs.

I am assuming a new fan assembly but would like clarification please?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Kind Regards,

jacksdar

Sponsored Links
this fault sounds very similar to the potterton profile when the fan cycles on off on off but goes no further, this is the pcb on the profile but i must admit i've never come across this on the solo..and i've found the pcbs on the first solo very reliable..check the pressure switch tubes, bottom right hand corner, the original ones are prone to splitting, but this fault tends to stop boiler altogether..failing that could be pcb or pressure switch..is power to fan cutting out when fan stops?

Thanks for such a quick response oakland99.

I did have a good look around but could not see anything out of the ordinary. I am popping back tomorrow to replace a rad so will take a closer look at Pressure Switch Tubes.

Only other thing I can add is a tiny red neon light on lower panel goes on/off in time with the click.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

jacksdar

Could the ticking be the spark sparking? If so check the gas valve.

If it is not the spark do as oakland suggests, could also be worth takinf fan off and cleaning the fan venturi.

Sponsored Links
...don't think ignition spark, gas4you.

Call for heat, fan starts, almost immediately cuts out (accompanied by single 'tick), fan tries to start, almost immediately cuts out etc etc.

Will check Pressure Switch Tubes though.

Thanks for reply.

...don't think ignition spark, gas4you.

Call for heat, fan starts, almost immediately cuts out (accompanied by single 'tick), fan tries to start, almost immediately cuts out etc etc.

Will check Pressure Switch Tubes though.

Thanks for reply.

2nd time. P.C.B.... Jack 231711BAX

Its like talking to the kids you have to repeat everything 3 times.

Cheers Poxi, will give it go..shall I check tubes just in case though?

I have booked 3 days training with Baxi (Warwick Centre) early next month. The courses cover electrics/fault finding/combi appreciation. Has anyone attended these? Worthwhile?

Thanks everyone for your very quick reponses. Much appreciated and I will of course let you know how I get on.

Kind Regards,

jacksdar

If they're like most manufacturers they only train you on the latest products, which is not a direct help to older boiler problems :cry:

Aplogies Poxi, you are too quick on the button!

gas4you - agree with that. Looking forward to being shown how to use a multi meter though.

I think they might be expecting you to know basics like that before you turn up :confused:

If they're like most manufacturers they only train you on the latest products, which is not a direct help to older boiler problems :cry:

They do old product training as well. Plenty of the old girls up there in the test bays.

P.S There is some big girls up there. So beware :D

baxpoti/poxi/gas4you/oakland99,

Just to send my sincere thanks for identifying the fault on the Baxi Solo. My merchants had one in stock, fitted this afternoon, one very happy customer!

I have a couple of questions...

1. The electrode lead came with black connector one end, white 'tuther'. Is there any reason for this?

2. I am a IPHE member and have been advised by a couple of fellow members to join ARGI, which I did this morning before work. I noticed they use a similar layout to this forum. Are they related? If so is there a forum on the ARGI website for Corgi Registered Installer like myself to post problems/issues/questions?

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

jacksdar

Welcome to ARGI Jack.

No the sites are not connected, ARGI is just for registered gas installers.

Yes they do have several sections for posting queries etc. As their admin is very busy at present you may have to wait a while until your professional details are verified then the other sections will be unlocked for you to post in ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back