bay roof insulation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, looking for some general info from the experts!

I have a double fronted 1870s terrace, bay windows on the ground floor only. The bay rooves are pitched, lead covered and have no insulation inside.
They join the house at the level of the downstairs ceiling and a bit higher than the first floor floorboards (bottom and top of the "thick end" of the pitch).
If I lift the boards on the first floor, I can see right out into the bay roof cavities. i.e. the iron beam supporting the first floor wall above the bays isn't as tall as the opening into the bay roof cavities.
So, downstairs, the only thing between me and the elements is the plasterboard ceiling, probably some plywood and the lead. And, the air in the bay cavity can freely circulate bewteen the downstairs celing and first floor floorboards i.e. under the bedroom floors.
So, mainly, my question is about airflow, can I block off the inside of the bay from the firstfloor underfloor cavity?
What are the requirements for airflow within the bay roof cavity itself? How much insulation can I put in there?

Thanks, Richard.

Sponsored Links
I've sketched out this as a possible solution - View media item 59545 - this is dependent on access from the bedroom floor/wall into the top of the bay roof ceiling...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back