Leaking roof over bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking roof over my bay-window and would like to know some "ballpark" prices. Hope this information helps:
It's an oriel window about 5ft wide and sticks out about 2ft from the main wall of the house.
The house is solid Edwardian.
The oriel-bay-window is on the 1st floor and isn't supported by any legs or pillars, it just sticks out.
It's a 'walk in' bay glazed on 3 sides, and from the bottom of the window down to the floor it's a light weatherboard-type construction, not the same thick brick-wall that the rest of the house is made of.
The bay has a slate roof and a gutter round it.
The window frames seem to be metal.
It's just started leaking into the room in the recent very light rain we've had.
Have been here for years and seen much worse storms and prolonged very heavy rain but no problems till very recently which seems odd.
The water is dripping through about a foot long crack in the bay-ceiling. The crack in the ceiling extends from the middle of the bay-ceiling towards the window.
Ideally would like to fix with any suitable most economical materials.
Bay is at the back of house.
House is split into a few owner-occupied flats - this oriel-bay-window belongs to mine and now has this leak.
Planning to move soon.
Can anyone give me any rough "ballpark prices" this might cost to have fixed?
Does the whole window need replacing and how much might that cost?
Would it be best to replace the oriel-bay-window with a 'flush' window flat in the wall and not have the bay window at all?
It's a small flat so the bay does add valuable space and the light is very pleasant from this large window, but must consider cost and economy to be priority as repair now needed.
Thanks for any advice.
(Apologies to Moderator and to Forum for previous 'hi-jack' of post, am new).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back