Bay window curtain pole.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am trying to fit a curtain pole in the bay of my house. The bay window is wooden all the way to the architrave so fixing the pole there is no problem. There is about 18 or so inches of plastered wall to either side of the bay window which is the problem. On one side the plaster i quite thick and I had the devil of a job to fix a normal curtain track to it. it kept popping out which I managed to solve by filling the hole with no more nails and putting the rawl plug into that! Worked a treat. The pole is a metal one with flexible corner joints. Should I fit a batten to either side and let the screws push into the plaster or just fix the thing straight into the plaster. Any ideas welcome as the wife is beginning to visibly smolder as she wants to measure up for new curtains before the winter sets in.

Sponsored Links
Normally the final fixing at each end would be fixed inward of the full length of the pole/track, on the curtain plate, you don't seem to have one. As I read your post it sounds as though the window frames go fully to the ceiling and there may or not be a an architrave along the top, am I right?
In that case could you fix the last vertical fixings onto the architrave and allow the curtain pole/track to overshoot, or are you trying to extend it to cover the plasterboard ingoes?? ...pinenot :)

Hi Thanks for the reply. No the window goes all the way up to the architrave but has enough wood at the top to fix the pole. The problem is just the plaste section where I will have to put a least one fixing per side. I was thinking of maybe fixing a piece of 4 x 1 to each side and fixing the bracket to that.

Sponsored Links
If the 2"x 1" won't look out of place go for it, you can always paint them the same colour as the walls...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back