PVCu Window Frames - easiest solution for curtains/blinds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had all my windows (6' deep Victorian, including one huge bay) replaced with PVCu double glazed windows. All my "fixing panels" have gone and there is only between 1" and 3" remaining between the tops of the frames and the ceiling. One side of the kitchen and bathroom frames is bang in the corner of the room, so there's no wall there.

I've searched this forum and found:

The ceiling, of the bay itself, will have battens running from the front to the back to which the bay ceiling plaster/board is fixed. When the new window is installed, the outer ends of these battens are likely to be revealed. If you ask the installers to mark the location of these battens, ie, felt tip pen on the bay ceiling, you will then be able to fix a shaped wooden batten, onto the bay ceiling, and the curtain track can then be fitted securely.

I am horrified and distraught, I cannot do this myself and cannot afford a tradesperson (got a loan for the windows) - I hope I'm attaching a demo pic and would be most grateful for advice on the cheapest solution. Privacy is not a priority as I am not overlooked, so lightweight curtains/blinds would be OK. A big problem is too much sunlight into the south-facing bay.

The windows company is useless (windows themselves are very nice), I asked for maintenance instructions and they sent me illiterate info on aluminium windows. The fitter told me that certain parts of the frames can be screwed into, but it was an off-hand remark and I'm not clear.

DSCN5073.jpg

clemenzina

Sponsored Links
clemenzina said:
The fitter told me that certain parts of the frames can be screwed into, but it was an off-hand remark and I'm not clear.
Not always, some frame are hollow without metal box section, poke a small screwdriver above the windows and see what you hit there, failing that then find the ceiling joists above and hang the curtain rail from there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back