roman blind on plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a roman blind at W130xH135 that fits outside a small window.

There is a wood batten outside the top of the window frame but I want to fix the blind a little higher, so that it only covers a smaller part of the upper window when fully folded (it is measured this way).

I want to fix the sidewinder higher, the problem is that I have a concave ceiling (low pitch roof) and will have to fix it on plasterboard in this case.

What is the best way to about this?

Should I fix another batten on the ceiling plasterboard or use Fischer Self-Drill Plasterboard Fixings?

Is it going to be stable if I place say 4 brackets for a sidewinder of 130cm?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Anything but those self screw fixings, I feel.....personally I'd go for a neat timber batten on the ceiling fixed with hollow wall fixings and screw your blind to that.
Drill carefully into the ceiling, don't overdo the fixing size and become familiar with their function before you bash on.
A trial run with these things pays dividends!
John :)

Which particular fixing would you go for?

It's not like I do this every day, so I'll definitely trial it on a lose piece of plasterboard I have :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Check out Toolstation 36548 for example......you don't need the setting tool so long as you press the barbs tightly against the plasterboard, but the plasterboard thickness is best known before you buy!

I thought it's always good to discuss with a pic, so here is the window in question.

View media item 86081
I did some test drilling, I think there is possibly bonding/plaster/wall behind the plasterboard at the height I need to drill. That could offer more stability. The picture is not very clear but there is a white wood batten shown and right above I have marked the potential extended wood batten in green. Either that, or I will need to position a small piece to fix each of the four brackets.

Alternatively I was thinking to fix the brackets directly on the plasterboard and slot plugs through the plasterboard and into the wall behind. The only issue is that the chain is rubbing against the picture rail.

Any thoughts most welcome...

Ok, this was weird, it looks like there is a thick layer of plaster behind the plasterboard. I am probably drilling at the very edge of the wall end, just below the rooftop.

I decided to go with uni plugs after all and fix four brackets, each takes two plugs. I pushed them pretty deep, the screws coming with the blind were long too so the entire thing feels pretty good:)

It seems that you are getting there!
What you are finding is pretty common practice - if you were to drill deeper you would probably find you were going into a lintel.....much harder!
Another trick is to squirt some pva glue or no nails adhesive into drillings that could be a little suspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back