Bay window curtain pole help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya all iam trying to put a bay window curtain pole up in our bedroom as the blinds we have let light through so we want curtains aswell,

When i was drilling in the wall plugs on the left arm of the bay i hit a a hard surface which my wall plug wont penetrate? anyone know what this is and if i can drill through it?

Thanx in advance!

Nick

Sponsored Links
Are you drilling into the front face of the bay, ie, to one side of the bay aperture and above the top of the aperture ? If so, you are likely to be drilling into the lintel (probably steel) which supports the structure above the wall opening.

hiya thanx for you reply iam not sure what you mean iam drilling above the left side window and can get about 2cm down then hit something hard?
When i did the right window of the bay i had no problems?
whats the lintel?

Nick

if it is at a level above the window, it is probably the lintel. this will be about 200mm high and either redinforced concrete or steel. You can decide which by making a hole through the plaster and peering in. The lintel will go about a 300mm to each side of the window as it rests on the brickwork.

there is also a chance that it is a steel strap if there is a roof or wooden floor above and you are near the ceiling.

A masonry drill with hammer action will go into concrete.

An HSS drill will go into steel.

Test that the hole you make will accept your plug when it is tapped slightly below the level of the plaster (this reduces cracking)

Use a good long screw, 40mm or 50mm long.

If the plug is a loose fit in the hole, squirt no-more-nails into the hole (put the nozzle deep into the hole to fill it from the end with no air gap) and push your plug into that. The no-more-nails will set overnight and will hold the plug securely in place.

Your hole, plug and screw must all go into brick or concrete, plaster has no strength.

p.s. a lintel is what bilders use to take the weight of the wall or roof above the window and pass it into the walls. You might call it a beam. You cannnot put weight on a windowframe or it will break.

Sponsored Links
Hiya thanx for your reply is it safe to drill into this lintel?
iam not very DIY savvy as you can probably tell.
What can go wrong?

Nick

if you drill one small hole for your screw, it will be safe.

If you peppered it with holes all in one area you could weaken it.

ok thanx what were these drills you were talking about as i just have a bosch 15v drill?

when I said "drill" I meant these

p2681712_l.jpg

you probably call them "bits"

a rechargeable will probably do it in time, but if you have no hammer action into concrete, a very long time. you can buy a mains hammer drill at a reasonable price, I'd get one with a 12mm or larger chuck if I were you as you have your rechargeable for light work. You can save money by buying an "own brand" from one of the big DIY chains, it will not be the best on the market but they can't afford to sell stuff that all gets returned, and you will get a 12 month warranty. "Green" coloured Bosch are for DIY work and often on special offer. Unknown brands can be very bad. You don't need an "SDS" type which is mostly for much heavier work.

The lintel will be about 200mm high and will start just above the window frame (there may be some filler or insulation between them)

oh right so i need a hss drill bit?
how far above the window would i need to go to avoid the lintel?

you need HSS if it is a steel lintel, and a masonry bit if it is reinforced concrete. HSS drills are often sold in set of six or so (sometimes in kits of dozens) Masonry bits are sometimes sold individually as they are more expensive. You may find your local DIY shed sells a kitbox of drill bits at a good price.

If it is steel, go through the plaster and cement before you change to the HSS bit, or it will be damaged and go blunt.

If you are drilling above the lintel, then (if your house is built of brick or block) a masonry drill will easily do it. But identify if it is timber frame, or plasterboard spaced off the brickwork as this makes a difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back