Bay Window Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a house with rendered exterior and fairly recent work done to it in last couple of years. Wasps found a home recently in it and surveyor did notice there was a gap above the ground floor windows (See image) which insects could get in to

To me it doesn't look like a great finish but is this a standard way to finish what I believe is a timber bay (there are bricks along the bottom). The wasp guy said when he puffed his powder up it he saw it appear below the first floor window suggesting there was a fairly open cavity underneath the board. He advised sealing up the gaps which I can do I just wondered whether I'm better off getting it re-done.

There appears to be a layer of plywood? and some other material under the render.

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpeg
    IMG_0835.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0836.jpeg
    IMG_0836.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0838.jpeg
    IMG_0838.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
MattLiving, good evening.

Not the best finish or detailing ever??

Yes there is plywood visible, probably a part of the timber frame?? Sited behind the [what looks like] a composite fascia, the fascia looks OK but the finish to the top of the window is [to be kind] poor??

As a relatively easy "fix" ? it appears that there is a down stand "lip" where the external fascia terminates below the plywood. this gap could be filled with a thin preferably treated suitably sized piece of timber, the timber can be fixed to the plywood, and with some mastic applied between the timber and the window a reasonable seal can be obtained.

If you go with the above, a tip would be to paint all four surfaces of the timber prior to fixing.

Ken.

Thanks Ken. Yes the finish is pretty poor almost like it’s half a job . Will probably ask a joiner to make up the wood bits and finish off doing similar to what you mention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back