Canopy/ bay window lintel ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Apologies another question re my bay window to be.

The council are happy with my canopy (and porch and happy that it doesn’t need planning permission / regs but I’m trying to do as much as I can to finish it off so when I do put in pp for my bay window it will be easier and quicker to complete.

My question is the window( or doors finish 100mm below my canopy since there is nothing( in theory ) above the doors will be supporting will I need a lintel or could I use some 100mm timber to span across?
The wall where the ladder is a cavity wall and willBe finished flush, this wall is also the main end support for the canopy!

Hope the pic will make sense ?
Thanks
Jake

Attachments

• 6AEA0068-3702-47D3-B61A-3BAA4765479B.jpeg
    6AEA0068-3702-47D3-B61A-3BAA4765479B.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
Hi,
Apologies another question re my bay window to be.

The council are happy with my canopy (and porch and happy that it doesn’t need planning permission / regs but I’m trying to do as much as I can to finish it off so when I do put in pp for my bay window it will be easier and quicker to complete.

My question is the window( or doors finish 100mm below my canopy since there is nothing( in theory ) above the doors will be supporting will I need a lintel or could I use some 100mm timber to span across?
The wall where the ladder is a cavity wall and willBe finished flush, this wall is also the main end support for the canopy!

Hope the pic will make sense ?
Thanks
Jake
I have no idea whether you are building a porch or a bay window. I also don't understand whether you are asking about support above the (existing) window or roof support above a proposed(?) canopy/porch.

Confused dot com.

Hi noseal,
Thanks for your reply and apologies for the confusion
The porch is already there , at present this is just a canopy over the front window the adjoins the porch.
Eventually when we have pp the window will be brought forward to create a bay and level at the front

My question is the lintel above the window ( when it’s a bay ) will I need a lintel or could I use a piece of timber ( circled in blue)

I can’t see a lintel needed as it’s not supporting anything but would like to make sure
Thanks
Jake

Attachments

• 2B6E29D4-7529-42E3-9F01-E0215F68CEFB.jpeg
    2B6E29D4-7529-42E3-9F01-E0215F68CEFB.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 19
Hi noseal,
Thanks for your reply and apologies for the confusion
The porch is already there , at present this is just a canopy over the front window the adjoins the porch.
Eventually when we have pp the window will be brought forward to create a bay and level at the front

My question is the lintel above the window ( when it’s a bay ) will I need a lintel or could I use a piece of timber ( circled in blue)

I can’t see a lintel needed as it’s not supporting anything but would like to make sure
Thanks
Jake
Timber will be ok provided you can get the depth. I'd go for something like a couple of 175mm x 50s fixed together.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back