Plans for PP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

I’ve now got a porch on the front of my house and a canopy that goes right across with a supporting wall at the end of the canopy
What I’d like to do is bring my living room window flush with the porch creating a bay window in my living room,

As the porch and canopy is already there the bay window won’t be load bearing and only on the down stairs.

I know I need planning permission for my bay window but not sure what I need when it comes to the plans, I’d like to try and draw them myself as it’s such a small
Alteration and can’t afford a architect lol . As it’s not load bearing I don’t need calcs fro a SE but I wondered if just a floor plan will Be adequate or if I’ll also front views etc… I’ve never done this before so apologies if it’s obvious.

Best wishes
Jake

Sponsored Links
You'll need existing & proposed plans (they needn't be full plans just the outline of the whole house will do showing part of the affected rooms in more detail), a site plan, a location plan, existing & proposed relevant elevations (so probably front and each side), possibly some other stuff depending on the local authority. If you make an account on the planning portal (which you must do in order to submit a planning application these days) and then start a new application it will tell exactly what your local authority will need in order to validate the application, you can then fill everything in online and it will save your application as a draft application until you have completed all the forms etc and uploaded the relevant drawings.

I don't submit many applications these days but having just logged in to the PP I see now that the location plan is generated automatically on the planning portal so that will save you £20 or so.

Sponsored Links
Read up on your council's planning or supplementary planning policy for front extensions. Some councils resist these, others accept them if they are well designed.

It all comes down to the appearance of the existing house, or the street scene, as planners are wary about everyone infilling the front of their houses.

If there is anything likely to be contentious, then good drawings help by highlighting the good points and downplaying the bad.

After you start an application on the PP in the attaching supporting documents section there should be a link taking you directly to the relevant local authority's validation list. Saves hunting the web for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back