Permitted development - house footprint car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to build a new porch (inc downstairs toilet) at my property. Can anyone advise on the rules of what we can do under permitted development? Hopefully this will make sense. We have a bay window in our lounge at the front of our property adjacent to the hallway and front door where we want the porch to be built. Is the bay window included in the house footprint and we can take the measurement from that out or does it come from the front door which is a foot or so further back. Trying to assess whether we’d need to get full planning permission. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tbh, I don’t think that’s even relevant as PD for porches relates to the floor area and not the distance from from a principal wall/elevation.

I think you’ll find the max porch size is 3 square metres floor area assuming this is the front of the house. That will limit how far you can practically build off of the front wall to end up with a usable width porch.

If the bay window is within your planned porch area and does not start at the floor then I wouldn’t include it as part of original house.

What have your neighbours done? If you find one that has done it already check if they applied for planning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back