Attaching a detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under permitted development, can we knock down the existing detached garage (1metre to the side of the house, fronting street) and attach it to the house, thus adding the current 1metre path to the garage footprint?
We will also be changing the pitched garage roof to a flat roof, in-keeping with others properties down the road. It's a traditional semi-detached.
Our advice from the council is that we need planning permission as we're increasing the size more than 50% of the original property (the existing garage was built at the same time as the house), the second advice is that as we're attaching the garage we're changing the use so again need planning permission.
Does anyone have any experience of this situation? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your not changing use that's for sure.

And if you knock something down, and then rebuild it, you are not increasing the development footprint. The increase would be the bit of path, not the whole garage.

So unless the bit of path is 50% of your whole front and back garden, then it's not an increase.

If you don't have a road on the side, as well as the front, then it should be PD of you keep to the other criteria.

Thanks. Yes that makes sense. No road to the side.
They have suggested that once we knock the garage down, then the new garage will be more than 50% width of the original house, they no longer take into consideration the existing garage as it's been (to be) removed. I can't find that rule in the PD.

They have suggested that once we knock the garage down, then the new garage will be more than 50% width of the original house, they no longer take into consideration the existing garage as it's been (to be) removed. I can't find that rule in the PD.

Sounds about right, once you knock the garage down it will cease to exist so whatever you build in its place will be treated as a new extension so for permitted development you cannot go more than half width of original house. If you retain the garage and just infill the gap then that is a different kettle of fish. (I assume the "50% of the original property" in first post was talking about width and not floor area.)

Sponsored Links

Sorry they are correct. I was confusing the 50% you mentioned with curtilage, not width of the house.

The planners, and Wessex are correct in that for the purpose of PD, once the garage is removed, the new one is treated as a completely new extension

Here is "the rule" from the tech guidance

(j) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would extend beyond a wall forming a side elevation of the original dwellinghouse, and would –

(iii) have a width greater than half the width of the original dwellinghouse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back