Porch projecting beyond bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some porch building advice.

I live in a house with a bay window in Redbridge east London. Wondering if I can build a 1.7m by 1.7m (3 metre squared) porch without planning permission bearing in mind it will protrude further than the bay window by about a meter into the front garden. The front garden is very big though.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Remember the 3 square metres is external- and to be safe you'd include any eaves, guttering etc in that 3 sq m.
Long as it clears the rest of the conditions (<=3m high, >=2m away from any road or public path) you should be good to go AS LONG AS YOUR PROPERTY HAS PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT RIGHTS- that's something you need to check on your councils' website. Remember flats don't have PD so if you only own/lease the ground floor then unlucky. Also if leasehold you may need to inform/seek permission from the freeholder

I think in this instance you are allowed to ignore overhanging eaves and gutters and just work off the footprint at ground level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back