1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Porch projecting beyond bay window

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Porch query, 29 Aug 2021.

1. Porch query

Porch query

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looking for some porch building advice.

I live in a house with a bay window in Redbridge east London. Wondering if I can build a 1.7m by 1.7m (3 metre squared) porch without planning permission bearing in mind it will protrude further than the bay window by about a meter into the front garden. The front garden is very big though.

Thanks in advance

2. Sponsored Links
  3. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Remember the 3 square metres is external- and to be safe you'd include any eaves, guttering etc in that 3 sq m.
    Long as it clears the rest of the conditions (<=3m high, >=2m away from any road or public path) you should be good to go AS LONG AS YOUR PROPERTY HAS PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT RIGHTS- that's something you need to check on your councils' website. Remember flats don't have PD so if you only own/lease the ground floor then unlucky. Also if leasehold you may need to inform/seek permission from the freeholder

4. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think in this instance you are allowed to ignore overhanging eaves and gutters and just work off the footprint at ground level.

• Thanks Thanks x 1