Would I need planning permission ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a canopy over our front window and is supported with a brick pillar(pillar similar to pic )however we would like to build a wall between the pillar and the house to the height of the canopy

I’ve looked all over the net and can’t see anything in relation to planning needed or permitted development!

I’m aware if it was facing a highway I would need planning and it’s not a extension ‍♀️

I’ve contacted the planning department but depending who you get you get depends if they can be bothered to help… anyway my response was fill this form out pay £80 and we will let you know ‍♀️

It’s not going to cost me
£80 to build the thing lol

The council came out at the beginning of the year when I was building my porch which was under permitted development and this canopy is attached to it (tiled) because someone reported me and they sent me a letter saying everything is in order just Cary on!

Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
Would of helped if I posted a stock photo !

Attachments

• EFA5B955-F641-430B-A048-64BD91F463B6.png
    EFA5B955-F641-430B-A048-64BD91F463B6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
Hi Murdo ,
I just can’t figure out why I would need planning as the porch is already separated by a wall lol can’t get my head around it lol

Sponsored Links
This may be a better pic the blob on the right is a porch lol the line on the left is a pillar ! Can’t draw to save my life lol

Attachments

• 6BEF17AA-4FEC-4183-A2BB-E811488A1B95.jpeg
    6BEF17AA-4FEC-4183-A2BB-E811488A1B95.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 32
You will need to apply for planning permission if the porch:

• Would have a ground area (measured externally) of more than 3 square metres
  • Would be higher than 3 metres above ground level (height needs to be measured in the same way as for a house extension); or
  • Would be less than 2 metres away from the boundary of a dwellinghouse with a highway (which includes all public roads, footpaths, bridleways and byways).
so if your total porch area is less than 3 square meters your fine.

The council has already been out and said my porch is fine for permitted development they are also happy with the canopy … it’s just changing a pillar to a wall which I want to change lol
Best wishes
Jake

Porches can be open or enclosed...

eg
1703090935750.png
or
1703090999083.png

so as long as its 3m sq it does not matter...its the footprint and height that is important not if it has walls or not.lol

Hi Murdo ,
I just can’t figure out why I would need planning as the porch is already separated by a wall lol can’t get my head around it lol

I thought there was a requirement if you changed the appearance of your home as viewed from the road. Could be wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back