Advice on removing a door canopy/lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice or previous experiences.

I have a concrete canopy above my front door that I would like to get rid of. In the last 12 months in the same neighbourhood I have seen two instances of these things shearing off and wrecking the front door. Let alone the fact that they could have killed someone.

The canopy measures approx 1800mm wide 600mm deep and about 60mm thick. I’m not sure at this stage if it also doubles up as a lintel to support the wall above.

I’m planning to build a porch around the front door anyway, and contemplated building around it. But given what has happened in the past, I would prefer to just get rid of it.

If it is the case that it is supporting the wall above, then I think the best course of action would be to just slice it off flush with the wall, with a disc cutter.

My question is, what would be the best way to go about it, and should I tackle it myself???

Cheers…

Sponsored Links
Have to agreed, best to get rid of it.

I have done one last year by putting up scaffolding right underneath the concrete roof to support the weight, then angle grinder approximately 6" away from the wall making a small shelf as the client wanted to put flowerpot on it inside the new porch!

Hey Masona...

Do you agree that it should be safe enough to cut it away? Given that there is still going to be a suibstantial amount of it still in the wall, thus performing the function of a lintel.

I have never erected scaffolding before. Can I get like an adjustable tower from HSS or something like that...

As for cutting, did you stand on top of it. Hoping the scaffolding stayed put? :(

Given the fact there is steel rods inside this thing running away from the wall, are there any cutters that could slice through the lot?

Sponsored Links
Adjustable scaffolding is available from most hire shops.

Personally, I wouldn't stand underneath it, you may get a bit of a headache if it falls. Perhaps a wider tower so you can stand either side or a sepaerate one.

Which disc, stone or metal? I would think a stone disc would go through the steel, it may wear out a disc or two but they are only pennies.

mrmark said:
Do you agree that it should be safe enough to cut it away? Given that there is still going to be a suibstantial amount of it still in the wall, thus performing the function of a lintel.
I'm afraid I can't tell you without seeing it. Might be an idea for a surveyor to give you advice or pop down to your local BCO which will be shown on the plans.
I have never erected scaffolding before. Can I get like an adjustable tower from HSS or something like that...
It would be cheaper to have a small scaffolding put up and wide enough for you to work on top of it. I don't like the adjustable type as the weight of the concrete might not hold it up.
As for cutting, did you stand on top of it. Hoping the scaffolding stayed put?
Scaffolding right underneath the concrete and a wider platform for safe working area.

Use a stone cutting disc until you see a spark from the metal rods then change the disc to the metal for cutting the rods.

Not a bad idea. Putting a tower either side of the canopy and a couple of boards from one to the other. That way I could just cut off bits at a time.

I just need to get a quote from HSS now then for the towers...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back