Front door canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help. I want to fit a canopy with a slope to the front of my house, spanning over the front door and a bay window. It will need to be about 6.5 metres long. The bay window has a flat roof and I need the under side of the canopy to marry up with it. i'm not sure which style of bracket would give the best support. If I used 100 x 75 timber do you think it will be overkill, I do want it to look substantial.

Sponsored Links
How far does it stick out from the front wall and how far from the bracket to the bay? Are you just putting in one bracket at the far end of the canopy, with the next point of support being the bay?

You need to consider if the bay frame is loadbearing.

I normally design these canopies to be mono-pitch trusses in 4x2 or 3x2 fixed to a wall bearer plate top and bottom on the wall, fixed with expansion bolts. This way they are cantilevered off the wall and generally self supporting - so preventing that awful sag in the fascia after 12 months.

Remember, canopies require planning permission if they extend further than any part of the front of the house

do they not also need planning for change of appearance of the property

Sponsored Links
Obviously any work will be changing the appearance, but permission is not for the 'change of appearance' as such.

The permission is really for extending the front of the house past the existing elevation and nearer to the road.

If the road is more than 20m away then permission may not be required

How far does it stick out from the front wall and how far from the bracket to the bay? Are you just putting in one bracket at the far end of the canopy, with the next point of support being the bay?

Thanks Shytalkz, I am not sure how far come out from the wall but 30" looks OK.
I was going to use 3 brackets one at one end on the right of the bay window one between the bay and font door the last one on the left at the end, they will be fairly evenly apart, The bay is not loadbearing.

You need to consider if the bay frame is loadbearing.

I normally design these canopies to be mono-pitch trusses in 4x2 or 3x2 fixed to a wall bearer plate top and bottom on the wall, fixed with expansion bolts. This way they are cantilevered off the wall and generally self supporting - so preventing that awful sag in the fascia after 12 months.

Remember, canopies require planning permission if they extend further than any part of the front of the house

Thanks Woody, I'll go for 4x2 I think it will look better as it's over six metre's long. I was intending to use gallows bracket's bolted to the wall.
It's a bummer about planning permission will I have to get proper plans drawn up and submit them. The bay is not loadbearing.

we have used either gallows, a brick pier or a wooden post.

timber gallows are the most attractive and the least obtrusive.

Re planing permission, you will just have to decide if its worth it. Most people would not bother.

It depends on the area, and if such work would be picked up by a future buyers survey.

If you are not planning on moving soon, or if there are other similar canopies in the area so that yours will not be too noticeable, then you may consider it not worth applying.

Re planing permission, you will just have to decide if its worth it. Most people would not bother.

It depends on the area, and if such work would be picked up by a future buyers survey.

If you are not planning on moving soon, or if there are other similar canopies in the area so that yours will not be too noticeable, then you may consider it not worth applying.

Thank's Woody, I think I will try without the planning permission. One of my neighbour's has already had one fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back