tiled canopy - size of timber to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all, I'm planning to rip down a flat-roofed canopy that covers my front door and a nearby window. The plan is to replace it with a pitch-roofed structure. Simple design with timber supports at the two front corners, tiled with mini-stonewolds to match adjacent structures.

The span between the corner posts will be 3000mm-3500mm. What size timber would you use to span this? Weight of the tiles will be 300-350Kg according to my calcs, no other loading on it. TIA

Nick

Sponsored Links
4x2 or 3x2 for the canopy. And if you make these into mono-trusses, and fix these to the house securely, then they will generally cantilever themselves.

You could run a 6x2 through the trusses to help prevent sagging

I did something similar for a customer about 3 years ago. Overall length was about 5m , supported by brackets at either end and a 2,1/2m bay window in the middle. The canopy projected about 900mm from the building with a 35° pitch. I used 4"x2" for the rafters. You didn't say how far the canopy projects from the building or the pitch. These are the critical things we'd need to know to advise.

Sponsored Links
sorry folks been away for a few days .... many thanks for the inputs. Nice picture woody - I get the idea. What spacing would you use between the trusses?

Joinerjohn - projection from wall will be in the 1100-1200mm region, pitch is shallow, around 20deg which is near the limit for the tiles I'm using. My gut feel is that is that I need something substantial across that span, but as I'm not a builder or joiner perhaps my gut feel is no guide in this case ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back