Car port timber spans and supports....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on building a car port in front of my garage.

Roughly it will be 4.8×3.6 metres.

One of the long sides (A-B) will be bolted to the A frame in the apex of the front of the garage. This was rebuilt by me a few years ago and is 47×100 (or 95? Can't quite remember) with a marine ply board and roofing felt covering bolted to the pre-fab concrete garage. Then the overhang supported by 90×90 post.

The long centre (C-D) will be supported on one end by a 90×90 post. The other end is a reinforced concrete post in a half height concrete wall and then ship-lap timber to the top. The plan here was to replace the timbers the ship-lap is attached to with 47×70 on BOTH sides of the concrete post and use these to support the end of the span.

The other long side (E-F) WAS going to be supported by the 2 gate posts (probably 47×100) bolted to the existing reinforced concrete fencing posts (this is what this existing gates that are EOL are attached to, but was going to be replaced with new timbers). These are spaced approximately 2.4 metres apart, with approximately 2.4 metres to the next reinforced concrete fence post.

Then the short spans were to be spaced at 600mm to take clear corrugated sheeting, at a very shallow pitch, probably using 47×70.

HOWEVER

The driveway entrance is too narrow to get the turn needed to get the car fully on the drive, so I will have to take a section of the wall down.

This means that both the centre span (C-D) AND the edge span (E-F) will BOTH only be supported at the ends.

Height wise I only plan to build it so that the lower edge of any timber is 2 metres from the ground.

I hope I have explained my plan clearly enough.

Should I increase the sizes of the timbers for the spans? If so what should I get...

I'm looking at treated pine as this is the easiest to source, but have a very good timber merchant just around the corner so am open to other suggestions there too...

Cost is a factor, but then again, cutting corners could cost me my car, sooo...

For the 4.8 metre span bolted to the garage and then supported at the end by a post, is 47×100 sufficient or should I look to 47×150?

For the unsupported 4.8 metre spans I'm guessing 47×100 will not be man enough. Should I go with 47×150, 47×200 or something else?

For the 3.6m spans supported by all 3 4.8 metre spans, but with the middle span at approximately ⅓/⅔ will 47×70 be good enough, or should this be 47×100?

As for the vertical supports, will 90×90 be good enough, or should I go 100×100 or higher?

And what about those bolted to the concrete fence posts, will 47×70 ×2 be sufficient?

Sorry I can't show any plans, I have written this on my phone.

Sponsored Links
Click the upload a file button, then it will let you take a photo and insert it into your post

Tried that, kept getting a security error!

I've put them on photobucket instead.

This is the area in question.

As you see I've cleared space further inside the garden.

This is the front of the garage, that's 47×100 making the frame of the apex. I plan to bolt one of the 4.8 metre lengths to this and then support the hanging end with a post.

The driveway is too short to fit even a Vauxhall Corsa directly in front of the garage.

Plan A

Unfortunately, I don't have enough room to turn without taking the wall down.

Plan B

Note, corner F can now be replaced with a full height 90×90 post. This was missed when making the above sketch!

Whatever happens, the gate and posts need replacing before they fall out into the street, and the supports for the ship-lap on the fence also need replacing.

Length A-B will be bolted along at least half of its length. I can add vertical supports here if necessary.

Lengths C-D and E-F will only be supported at the ends though.

Plan A was going to see me replacing the gates.

Plan B makes this impossible without a sliding gate. I have the room for this, but not the money or expertise to do it myself.

Both plans were going to see me fence the "car port" off from the garden, but plan B means that the is going to be 5' instead of 3'.

I hope this helps, best I can do until I fire up sketch up.

Not shown are the 3.6m "rafters" that will hold the corrugated clear plastic sheets.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you sure you don't need planning permission for this?
Fairly sure.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings
Planning Portal said:
Rules governing outbuildings apply to sheds, greenhouses and garages as well as other ancillary garden buildings such as swimming pools, ponds, sauna cabins, kennels, enclosures (including tennis courts) and many other kinds of structure for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse.

Other rules relate to the installation of a satellite dish, the erection of a new dwelling or the erection or provision of fuel storage tanks.

Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

• No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation. - CHECK - This is in the rear garden, just happens to front on to a side road, but the front of the house is on a main road.
  • Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof. - CHECK
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse. - CHECK - Will all be under 2.5m regardless of proximity to the boundary.
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms. - CHECK
  • No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings. - CHECK
  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres. - DOES NOT APPLY
  • On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission. - DOES NOT APPLY
  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission. - DOES NOT APPLY
*The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

*Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

Additionally

https://www.cranegardenbuildings.co.uk/articles/planning-permission-for-garden-buildings
Crane Garden Building said:
  • The building is not to be used as self-contained living accommodation or have an antenna*. - CHECK
  • If, your garden building DOES comply with the above criteria, you won't need to apply for planning permission and you can have a garden building up to 30m^2 (internal size). Anything bigger than 30m^2 will need to go through building regulations. - CHECK - 4.8*3.6=17.28m^2

This is similar to what I want my finished product to be:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-8...534804?hash=item33ebbf9a94:g:slIAAOxyoVZTHwil

Only this is 8x4.8 - he is using 150x150 posts, 50x200 for the bearers and 50x150 for the rafters (the 4.8m side).

Or this (bolted to front of garage)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-8...536515?hash=item33ebbfa143:g:-18AAOSwMmBV4hA~

Failing that, I may give these guys a bell and have a look at their 3.6x4.8 bolt together kit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-G...hash=item4b41001b75:m:mABVDQzwJ2ERozWIeEbMrXQ

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
@op - yes, you're right - I was thinking it was beyond the principal elevation, but clearly it's not; my bad:oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back