Non-matching roof tiles on extension-worth a moan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Builder has come by two pallets of roof tiles he wants to use on my extension roof which don't quite match the existing.The ones that are on at the moment , in 'old english dark red' colour, are these:

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Roofing/Concrete-Tiles/Modern-Interlocking-Tile.aspx

These also match those on the adjoining neighbour's roof.

His plan is to use the existing tiles on the front and rear elevation but for the side and part of the rear he wants to use a similar tile, but with a'mockbond' effect in 'farmhouse red' colour :

http://redland.co.uk/products/slate-range/mockbond-mini-stonewold

He showed me these tiles a few weeks ago and I already told him I wouldn't be happy with them as they don't match- there is also a small difference in length between the two different tiles.

Am I being unreasonable?

We've not had any issues up 'til now and we are two months into the job.

Sponsored Links
No you're not being unreasonable.

Thanks.
Here's a photo of old and new together to show the comparison

IMG_0476.jpg

Sponsored Links
Builder has come by two pallets of roof tiles he wants to use on my extension roof

How has he come by them?

What is his motivation for insisting on using them?

If the contract that you both have agreed is for matching tiles, then match them he should. Ie, he quoted for matching tiles, you are paying for new matching tiles.

If there is an availability issue, then that is a contract variation and is for discussion.

How has he come by them?

What is his motivation for insisting on using them?

If the contract that you both have agreed is for matching tiles, then match them he should. Ie, he quoted for matching tiles, you are paying for new matching tiles.

If there is an availability issue, then that is a contract variation and is for discussion.

He wants to use them as he presumably got them for a good price- the guy that sold them to him dropped them here today. I don't want to fall out with the builder as up to now things have been ok but I think he's taking a liberty here. As mentioned he brought a sample of them to show me a few weeks ago and he was clearly told they were not wanted. They ain't gonna match. Expecting him to try and convince me otherwise.

What I’m failing to see here is why you’re asking the question...... you know the answer. It’s your damn house and you say what goes. When he’s stuck his bargain tiles on your roof and then luckily gets a vat of vomit green paint for £2 in a clearance sale, will you let him paint the interior in it?

Just be polite and firm. You don’t like the idea and want a tile match. He can stick those bargain tiles on the next poor sod’s roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back