Flat Roof Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on having a wrap around flat roof extension. The side elevation will be approximately 2.5m x 8m and the rear elevation 2.5m x 3.5m. I do not want a traditional felt stlye finish for aesthetic reasons. It is also going to have two or three roof lights (design not finalised). What alternative to felt is available? I would like to avoid haviving the roofing material overlapping onto the facia boards.

I would also like to consider cladding the rear elevation of the extension in something more interesting than render. Cedarwood is on the list but not happy about it not being maintainance free. Would also like to consider exterior tiles but not sure about the feasibility. If anybody has pictures of a non standard finish to an extension that would be really helpful. Somebody might even get themselves a job :)

Sponsored Links
Zinc is a very nice alternative to the standard flat roof materials, will last longer than you, in my opinion of course.

As an alternative to Cedar consider Marley Weatherboard, it looks pretty nice and is maintenance free. Cheaper than Cedar too.

Dryseal looks good. It's a GRP dry fixed sheet material that looks like sheet metal. Has resin/glass sealed joints. Can be made to look like lead roofing with fake 'mopstick' details.

http://www.hambleside-danelaw.co.uk/dryseal-roofing-system/domestic/

My crazy shaped house with it on...10deg low-pitch roof.

http://www.hambleside-danelaw.co.uk...aceted-round-house-roof-no-issue-for-dryseal/

Original roof was designed to be sheet copper but the previous owner/builder decided that was too expensive and stuck a felt roof on it. :rolleyes: After we bought it we couldn't get a decent quote from the metal (zinc) sheet roofers due to the difficult shape and details but Dryseal took up the challenge! Great job.

Thanks for the helpful inf Freddy and Tipper.

Is the Dryseal system a lot more expensive than traditional "cheap and not very cheerful" felt. Trying to get an idea of price. I'm not interested in using felt.

Sponsored Links
" I would like to avoid haviving the roofing material overlapping onto the facia boards. " . As far as I can see this means that you will have to have the facia board overlapping the edge of the roofing or internal upstand, to keep the water under control. Google EPDM, its a single sheet rubber product that is a lot easier and neater to use then conventional roofing felt.
Frank

Thanks Frank I will have a look.

How much should I be looking to pay aprroximately for Dryseal and EPDM on an existing flat roof (50 m2) and a new build (55 m2) ?

Any guidlines would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back