Cold Roof, Warm Roof Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
In a bit of a bind with the roofing on this project, would like some advice..
The project is an extension with a new pitched gable section (to match the existing right-hand gable on the images attached) and a flat roof section between the two gables.

Struggling to consider what would be the best option in terms of insulating these two new roofs. Firstly, the customer wants to avoid the look of soffits (aesthetics) and isn’t interested in vaulting the pitched roof. Therefore, the new pitched would be a cold roof.
The flat roof would also be a cold roof to minimise build up (again aesthetics, I’d usually avoid cold flat roof but in this case that extra 120mm on top would not look great, but also not sure about having a warm roof adjoin the cold pitched roof) so I was thinking a cold flat roof build up of 40mm insulation under and 100mm between rafters, the same as the pitched.

The issue then becomes ventilating the flat roof. With no soffits the only solution I can think of would be mushroom/cowl vents to the extent of the flat roof, perhaps with small holes drilled between joists for cross-flow (engineer allowing!). Perhaps the only viable option is to stick soffits to the full extent of that elevation with cold roofs throughout.

Any help, much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Vent through the two adjacent roofs, or design a ventilated fascia, or construct a warm roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back