Has there been a mistake made here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm on putting PIR board into the pitched roof part of our extension but I've some concerns.

IMG_20220513_151535.jpg

Looking at my woodyesque drawing above, the airflow travels through the soffits at the front, up and down the pitched roof above the PIR boards but then vents out into the flat roof of the kitchen under the warm roof so in the void between the kitchen ceiling and the osb below the warm roof insulation.

Surely this is just going to make the kitchen cold and defeats the point of the kitchen having a warm roof or am I worrying about nothing?

The front soffits aren't fitted at the minute so there's alot of airflow up and over the PIR board, I suppose this will reduce quite a bit once soffits are in and gaps sealed.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
There is indeed breathable membrane below the tiles, so does that mean I don't need to worry about it?

Sponsored Links
In theory, if the breathable membrane is suitable/has been installed correctly. That said you can't beat natural ventilation whatever the membrane.

It depends what breather membrane it is, and whether it certified for use without additional ventilation.

You would not want your ventilation running under the insulation on the flat roof. What would the insulation be insulating?

It depends what breather membrane it is, and whether it certified for use without additional ventilation.

You would not want your ventilation running under the insulation on the flat roof. What would the insulation be insulating?
Lol. I distinctly remember You telling this forum that all membranes were all the same! I think it was saturday night though!

warm roof abutment to cold roof -pitched tiles -commonly done wrong, Ive seen builders do it wrong...

So what do I do then? I can block the end of the pitched roof where it vents under the warm roof with rockwool but then I assume I'll need some vented tiles on that side of the pitch?

You need to block it off with the same insulation as your warm roof.
You don't need any tile vents, you can use over fascia vents on the first row of tiles above the flat roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back