Roof for new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm just starting to think about the design of a full width rear extension. I know I'll need an structural engineer but I have an question about the roof. Because of a pre 1938 small 2m out x 4m across extension which will be removed I may want to go 5 maybe 6m back from the rear wall meaning the extension would be 5or 6m x 8m. I'd like a lean too roof to give the interior a high ceiling height but does going over 5m mean that I'll need a purlin across the 8m width because the rafters will need more support due to their length? Would having a flat roof make having an 5/6 x 8m

If I kept the extension down to 4m x 8m am I right in thinking that I could then have a lean too with rafters short enough that they won't need any additional support?

Thx
Rich

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/roof-for-new-extension.428605/#3333920#ixzz3TLBTGg3R

Sponsored Links
Depends what you're using for rafters, roof covering, pitdh, snow load etc- I'm half way through a 7m span monopitch roof using JJI beams (300 x 100)- they aren't cheap but they will do the job. May well be cheaper to go the purlin/smaller rafters but thats a design/engineering decision, well above my pay grade :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back