Guesstimate - extension roof costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise completely this is very much a "how long is a piece of string" question, but please bear with me! I'm basically trying to approximate the costs for an extension to get a feel for whether it's achievable.

I've got a good grasp of most things, but the roof represents a huge unknown to me.

Basically, we're looking at a 2 Story 6m * 8m side extension (6m out, 8m matching the existing length of the house), joining the roof to the existing, traditionally built, hipped roof.

Including labour, does anybody have any ball park figures for what I should be budgeting here?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I thought you’d already built it?

Apparently there's something broke inside of me and I don't know how to just sit and relax ;)

That one was teeny! Though I'll be getting a LOT more help this time round!

Oh the roof - probably at least 700 in timbers/trusses, potentially same again in tiles, roofline etc. That’s materials. You’ve got this far, you’ve gotta do the roof! It’ll become clearer as you do it ;)
Ps that’s assuming no steels/veluxs which would obv add cost

My roof trusses we about the price 23vc says, £800 for 5.5 x 5.5 m footprint.

However all the tiles, felt, plastics, etc cost way more. Spent about £8k for the whole roof of the property - so about £3-4K on the extension bit.

That’s materials only.

My roof trusses we about the price 23vc says, £800 for 5.5 x 5.5 m footprint.

However all the tiles, felt, plastics, etc cost way more. Spent about £8k for the whole roof of the property - so about £3-4K on the extension bit.

Wow, okay, that's in the realms of reasonable. Did you do it all yourself?

Wow, okay, that's in the realms of reasonable. I take it that's just materials? Did you do it all yourself?
Sorry, edited my quote to add a that point in. Yeah, materials only.

I was told the tiles I used - Marley Wessex - were some of the more expensive ones, so it might be less for you.

Not included the scaffold price, but you'll need that too obviously.

Doing mine myself at the moment - not fun in the winter...here’s today’s view.

B13CE538-7272-4749-88FC-453ACA5180CA.jpeg

Sorry, edited my quote to add a that point in. Yeah, materials only.

I was told the tiles I used - Marley Wessex - were some of the more expensive ones, so it might be less for you.

Not included the scaffold price, but you'll need that too obviously.

Doing mine myself at the moment - not fun in the winter...here’s today’s view.

View attachment 217847

Wow, bloody top work mate! Looked at those Marley's when doing my little extension - nice choice.

I think you've got a thread in the Readers Builds section? I'll go and have a catch up!

Wow, bloody top work mate! Looked at those Marley's when doing my little extension - nice choice.

I think you've got a thread in the Readers Builds section? I'll go and have a catch up!
Thanks, not updated the thread in a while as been busy.

My roof had the Wessex on previously, and is a shallow 17.5 degree pitch, so my choice of tiles was limited to be honest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back