House Canopy Support , Large Span

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone suggest the best way of going about supporting a canopy over a large span, on the attached drawing it shows gallows brackets, but these would be insufficient to cover the weight over the span or would need to be very large and look stupid..

Are brick piers the best way, do I need a form of lintel, particularly for the large 7 metre span on the front of the garage or would wood suffice..

The canopy is to join the existing one on the porch, any advice is appreciated..

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
We did a 'floating' one recently whereby there were no visible supports.

Once i had fitted the rafters and joists (formed into kinda flush trusses) i made some 18mm ply triangle gussets that were fixed to the sides of my trusses, so that they outlined the entire triangle formed by the joist/rafter arrangement.

This meant that the upright part of the ply gusset sat tight against the wall and resisted rotation coupled with some expanding bolts fixed to the pitching plate.

The wall plate or low end purlin (i used a 100mm x 50mm on edge) was supported on props. The rafters were b/m'd onto the low purlin and notched onto the (top) pitching plate.

I suppose if i had to visualise it it would look like a sequence of mono trusses with a piece of 100mm x 50mm passing through the low end and an extended rafter bit notched onto a pitching plate at the high end and the joist part fixed to a pole plate. Sort of.

However, I think it only projected out from the wall about 900mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back