Bay window flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Back again to seek advice. My bedroom bay window having flat roof has a leak. Luckily my other half spotted it and put a container under it to catch the drips. I couldn't get near it for the snow.

Yesterday I got chance to check the leak. I have done a temporary repair but I would like to do a lasting repair. I have lead flashing covering area approximately 10 feet x 4 feet. The lead is in one piece.

I don't think I could get a lead flashing to cover a big area these days. My house was build pre war. Lead must have been ideal material as well as cheap to use at that time.

What alternative material there is I could use. Positive feed back as always will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi. The sheet lead covering you describe has probably failed due to the length that has been fitted. It is usual to break the roof up into sections, thus reducing the expansion and contraction which causes metal fatigue and leaks, this is done with wood core roll which is in effect an expansion joint. It may well be possible to contract a lead worker to alter the situation to accommodate such. That is using existing lead sheet. Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Hi. The sheet lead covering you describe has probably failed due to the length that has been fitted. It is usual to break the roof up into sections, thus reducing the expansion and contraction which causes metal fatigue and leaks, this is done with wood core roll which is in effect an expansion joint. It may well be possible to contract a lead worker to alter the situation to accommodate such. That is using existing lead sheet. Good Luck

Hi "justlead1"

You are absolutely right about the "wood Roll". To be honest I didn't know why this thing has been there. This wood roll isn't on neighbours bay roof. Is there anything I can do or is it I need a lead person.

Can you post a picture basecoat? it always makes for more accurate diagnosis and advice.

to be honest from what i can gather from your posts then getting a lead man would one of the more expensive ways of repairing this problem. lead is although recently the price has been falling expensive against materials such as a built up felt system and if you got a decent felt roofer in he would be able to use the lead as a flashing detail to the upstands in the felt system. get a felt round and ask him for a quote and give me shout if you want ill be able to tell you if its a fair price or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back