bay window canopy

Nige F said:
hidden soaker :confused: .....i`ll try and explain cuz I cant load jack s**t onto this computer :rolleyes: .............as the rows of tiles turn the corner of the hip you cut the soaker to form a "bent tile" covering the gap and weathering in the row below ..........easy to do
Is this it Nige :?:
24a_abutment_details.gif
24b_abutment_details.gif

Another one here

Sponsored Links
Holiday resort? I suppose that's one way of referring to Birmingham :LOL: it's currently -4, frost everywhere, heaving with moronic shoppers and so foggy you can't see your own feet!

Not the kind of weather to be doing any DIY. My current outdoor activities don't go beyond re-filling the bird feeders (there must be another way they could show their appreciation other than cr**ping on the path.)

Thanks for the kind offer though. I think I'll research the idea, source some materials, and then take it up in spring. I think I will go with your suggestion of lead strip UNDER the tiles, and yes the tiles I will use are small. I want them to match my roof tiles, which are small and rectangular. I need to replace some worn tiles so will get them all at once. Need to find a good supplier near Brum that does slightly weathered tiles. Don't want any replacements to obviously stick out. I will be back asking questions when I'm ready to start.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Hey Masona, great drawings. They show how to do the edges which meet the wall, but can the same be used where the tile meets tile on the join between the front and the angled sides. That's the tricky bit.

I have just spent the last 5 minutes drawing a picture for clarification, and have only just realised I acn't post it :rolleyes:

you guys are on the right track ;) ....I really must learn my way around this computer lark :LOL:

Sponsored Links
hi prod, the pictures in the link you gave are just the idea I had in mind. few questions,
1) what do you mean by "depending on how the lead slates are cut."
2) in the picture shown in the link, will rain flow directly down into the gutter, or will some move sideways (due to winds or capilliary action) and get inside?
3) Is the lead strip just placed over the frame, or does it need to be nailed or glued down?
4) I assume no mortar is used anywhere
5) What is the best way to cut tiles to make a mitre joint?

thanks, and a merry Xmas to everyone (I won't be in any fit state for DIY over the next few days :D and I dare say so won't many ;)

seneca said:
hi prod, the pictures in the link you gave are just the idea I had in mind. few questions,
1) what do you mean by "depending on how the lead slates are cut."
2) in the picture shown in the link, will rain flow directly down into the gutter, or will some move sideways (due to winds or capilliary action) and get inside?
3) Is the lead strip just placed over the frame, or does it need to be nailed or glued down?
4) I assume no mortar is used anywhere
5) What is the best way to cut tiles to make a mitre joint?

thanks, and a merry Xmas to everyone (I won't be in any fit state for DIY over the next few days :D and I dare say so won't many ;)
sorry its taken so long to reply ...christmas and all that. i`ll try to answer some of your points
1)sometimes on older roofs the mitre cut would`nt be that neat so the lead slate would be extended to cover the whole of the tile and be visible so all the slates should be cut identically just for cosmetic reasons
2)no,as water gets drawn in sideways it is also falling downwards when it reaches a joint in the tiles the head lap of the previous course catches it just as it does on the main area of tiles
3)the lead is cut longer than required and the top corners are dog eared to hook over the top of the tile the next course of tiles then prevents the lead slipping out
4)depending on the design of your roof the mitred tiles close to the top may not have a nib to hook over the lath these can be drilled and fixed or mortared in place but the lead does`nt require mortar
5)with a diamond cutter, chalk line and a great deal of patience,which is perhaps why you don`t see many examples of this method nowadays
hope this helps

I see you are in the midlands area. Not sure if you are near Brownhills/Cannock but there is a big roofing merchants there called SM Roofing. They always seem to have weird stuff the other normal merchants don't have. May be worth a Google or Directory enquiries to get their phone number.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back