bay-window long computer desk 10'x2'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5 bay-windows in the bedroom. The windows adjacent to the middle window are at an angle (forming a 'C' shape). The area is mostly wasted. So putting a long computer desk.

Looked around and found 6'x2'x0.6"thick solid pine laminated board at home depot. This will form the middle of the table. For the left(2' long) & right(2' long) triangular sections, using another another board of 4'x18"x0.6"thick. Here are the links to the boards:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Got some nice table legs http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Will put four of these legs in front. On the back side installed 1.5"x1.5"x2" blocks on the wall studs.

I have reinforced the long board perpendicular to laminated strips, next to the legs. I used 1.5"x1.5"x2feet long wood for this.

Will post pictures soon.

I am debating how to join the left & right parts to the center section. I have never done a biscuit joint. Any other advice will be helpful.

Finally I will finish the wood with Polyurethane coats.

Sponsored Links
Very thin for a desktop, minimum of 1" thick would be more suitable.Far too thin for biscuit jointing.

get your self 2 bed side cabinets or small chest off drawers the right height to support the front edge and the joins
use a 2x1" planed batton screwed and glued to the underside front edge to give you 1 1/2" thick front edge
edge all the way round to tie the bits together and give a thicker edge
screw and glue a bit along the joints
also glue battons underneath where the cabinet sides are so the weight will sit on the sides and not bow the cabinet tops

affix a batton around the bay to support the outer edges off the desk

Very thin for a desktop, minimum of 1" thick would be more suitable.Far too thin for biscuit jointing.

That's what I thought, but couldn't find 1" thick plank in HD. iKea has a 1" thick but not enough wide and is short in length.

Sponsored Links
get your self 2 bed side cabinets or small chest off drawers the right height to support the front edge and the joins
use a 2x1" planed batton screwed and glued to the underside front edge to give you 1 1/2" thick front edge
edge all the way round to tie the bits together and give a thicker edge
screw and glue a bit along the joints
also glue battons underneath where the cabinet sides are so the weight will sit on the sides and not bow the cabinet tops

affix a batton around the bay to support the outer edges off the desk

Thanks for the suggestion. Wife had been telling me to put cabinet underneath...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back