Bay windows sandstone repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of striping my house back to the stone this summer The problem i have, is the bay windows bathstone/sandstone has have been rendered in cement. The cement is loose and will be easy to remove. If i remove the cement would it be possible to apply a new top layer. If so what should i use? I was thinking of using Bathstone repair mortars from this site www.lime-mortars.co.uk
I have do some plastering and rendering in the pass

Attachments

• IMG_20200326_093316.jpg
    IMG_20200326_093316.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 471
Sponsored Links
what you propose is a great idea - remove all that terrible looking paint from the house, bay, and garden wall.
Likewise, remove all the overlay of sand and cement from the bay stonework.When all the bay stone is exposed then come back here with pics of what you've done, & be advised for what to do next?
Until i can see the actual stone i cant really advise you about applying new repair mortar or doing any repairs.

I seen a photo of the stone work before it was rendered. The window sills are chipped badly the upright columns have been cut into to create A key for the cement The render sandstone has lots of pit holes . Is their any product i can used to re-rendered the bay giving the natural yellowish colour of bath stone and is breathable what would you recommend?
I been told not to use sand and cement. Could anyone just point me in the right direction for the right products?

Sponsored Links
Sand and cement render is fine and has been for centuries. The key thing is that it will need to be done by someone experienced, and not any old plasterer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back