Repairing sandstone pillar on bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to repair the crumbled pillar (which I'm pretty sure is sandstone) that makes up the columns of a bay window. See the photo.

Basically I need to know what to use for it? E.g. Cement? Filler? Epoxy?

And should I bother making some formwork / batens for it or do I just clean it out and then shape it as the mix dries.

And given I probably plan to paint the whole lot white it probably doesn't matter too much about a colour match.

Sponsored Links
Using concrete or any other non porus media will likely make the situation worse. I used lithomex on my own house for similar problems. Its used a lot up here on historic buildings.

Thanks for your reply!

I have looked at Lithomex, and I could certainly have a go at it with that.

But given we're most likely going to paint over it all with some masonry paint does that not reduce the concern about future erosion?

Sponsored Links
hello, even if you are going to paint over the repair the key to preventing further erosion is maintaining a permeable substrate. Make sure that the paint you use is breathable - just like the sandstone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back