Bay Windows Structural Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ordered timber casement windows (Engineered European Redwood) for a square bay window; these come with corner posts that will be bearing the weight of the flat bay roof.

The builder is requesting a specification was 97mm x 97mm C16 timber posts.

The window installer tells me the 90mm posts are structural (to the extent they casn hold another floor above), and that they exceed C16 as they are laminated in 4 layers.

I am at a bit of an impasse; does it ring true that a 4-layer laminated Engineered European Redwood post should be sufficient for a 3m x 0.6m bay window roof?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The installer is correct in that laminated timber is stronger than plain; it is also dimensionally more stable. But as well as compressive strength, slenderness is also important as whichever timber is used, its load-carrying capacity is reduced as the column increases in height.
But for an ordinary bay window (1.5 - 1.8m high?), the 90x90 glulam would be fine.

Thanks, that's great; the windows are 1500mm high.

Attachments

• Bay_Window.JPG
    Bay_Window.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 255
Sponsored Links
I make timber windows, I wouldnt have any qualms about it.

Engineered timber used for jounery is going to far exceed C16.

Joinery softwood is constructed with almost knot free redwood. Gluam whitewood is usually rated C40.

Dont forget the posts also are fixed to 2 window frame jambs ceeating a larger section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back