Roof support over a bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are having some work done converting our attached garage into a bedroom and shower room for our disabled son. As the work is grant aided we had to go to an architect, not a bad idea in itself, however, part of the work involves replacing the flat roof over the garage with a pitched roof. This is to lift the height of the room as the floor has to bought up to the same level as the house so as to allow wheelchair access. This pitched roof is being continued across the front of the house and over the existing bay window in the living room where a flat roof linked across the front of the house to the garage.

The builder built the pitched roof over the garage, at the front, where the garage door had been he installed a catnic to frame the window and to support the front of the pitch. Over the bay which incidently is 2400mm long he just built the pitched roof straight of the existing flat roof. Now I wasn't sure about this so I emailed the architect to ask if this was OK. I received no reply so I removed a small section of the plasterboard under the flat roof to check the construction. It appears that the front is built from 2 off 2 x 4 timbers on edge nailed together (i.e. 4 x 4), at one end of the 2400 window is a brick pillar which this rests on, at the other end it rests on the support pillar of the window (the bay window is straight and then turns 90 deg at the end with a pillar of plastic encased Ali(?) at the turn). I am assuming this is plastic encased aluminum, though I'm not 100% sure as all this dates back long before I moved in.

Sorry for being long winded but is this safe. As it stands at the moment the whole weight of the pitched roof including the concrete tiles is resting on 2off 2 x 4 on edge (i.e. 4 x 4), though I suppose some weight is being taken by the window frame, which is not what they are designed for surely?

The architect visited site yesterday to check on progress I I asked him the question, His reply was 'Oh yes that's ok', however he won't reply to my email with this opinion in writing.

Can anyone advise if this structure is adequate?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back