Need to remove roof tiles over bay window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Quite a competent DIY'er, but have never tackled roofs before.

Problem is that there is little or no insulation below the pitched roof of my wooden bay window. I'd like to put some Rockwool up there as the bay is quite cold with a noticeable draught coming through the down-lighters.

How do I do about removing the roof tiles & re-fitting them after insulating the roof of the bay window?

What precautions (re fire risk) do I need to take when putting Rockwool over the down-lighters (which, I presume, project upwards into the void above the bay)? Rockwool is non-flammable isn't it? Would need to prevent any fibres being blown by draughts down into the by past the down-lighters.

Any pics you have as a step-by-step guide would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Can't help you with the rest but both glass-wool and Rockwool are good to way over 1,000 C

Just don't overspec that new boiler of yours ! :D

This link explains how to remove a tile, you start at the top where the flashing is and work down, a tile ripper may not be needed as you may be able to pull the nails out tile by tile as they will be accessible.
//www.diynot.com/pages/rg/rg011.php#a0
It is recommended that insulation around downlight is not within 150mm of fitting, and the electrical cable should not be completely covered by thermal insulation, as this will effect the current carrying capacity of the cable as it will not allow heat to dissipate.

Sponsored Links
Thank you PrenticeBoyofDerry.

So I need to lift the lead flashing at the top of the roof pitch first?

This would have been the last row of tiles to have been fixed - so the fixings holding them in place would be readliy accessible?

Just checking that I've got this straight.

Dave

They should depending how they where fitted, some times nailed and other times left on a type of anchor fixing, but once you lift the flashing you will see.
It's a straight forward job removing them once you get started, but you will need to take in to consideration slater lath and may be felt underneath before you can access the roof cavity to install insulation.
http://diydata.com/general_building/roofing/fixing_roof_tiles.php

They should depending how they where fitted, some times nailed and other times left on a type of anchor fixing, but once you lift the flashing you will see.
It's a straight forward job removing them once you get started, but you will need to take in to consideration slater lath and may be felt underneath before you can access the roof cavity to install insulation.
http://diydata.com/general_building/roofing/fixing_roof_tiles.php[/QUOTE]
That's a very useful link many thanks once again PrenticeBoyofDerry.

Bay was added (I suspect) to the house around 25 years ago by previous owner. The tiles are probably nailed on?

Not be attempting this for a while just sitting here with a broken boiler made me think "I really must sort out the insulation in this bay window!"

As heat rises, I'm looking to do the roof first, then the walls of the bay (cedar cladding & timber frame). Probably looking to do this around Easter - providing the weather is kind.

Thinking also to put some kind of enclosure over the down-lighters & then the insulation over that.

Dave

I forgot to mention an enclosure around the downlighters !

That is very important otherwise the heat of the bulb will create a chimney effect and draw moist air into your rockwool which will get wet and destroy its insulation properties.

The usual recommendation is to make it out of pb and leave a reasonable space around the fitment, Can't remember dimensions or even if there are any recommendations but this comes up regularly on the electricians forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back